ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝟞

I stared into his deep brown eyes, breath caught in my throat for a moment.

Holy shit, my taste in men was going to get me killed one day.

He glared back at me unflinchingly, gaze cold and expressionless. "What are you doing out here?" He snapped harshly.

I faltered slightly before responding. What was I supposed to tell him? Not the truth, definitely not the truth.

"I um... I was just walking around, trying to work out the layout of the castle before classes tomorrow." I lied quickly. Fortunately for me, I was a good liar, at least once I had come up with a believable lie.

His eyes narrowed, and I felt a slight flutter in my stomach. Hot.

Wait.

Fuck.

I wasn't supposed to be falling for him.

"You're not supposed to be out here, you realise?" He responded, his voice dark and slightly menacing.

"Well, neither are you, so you really can't talk." I replied without hesitation, casting a quick glance to either side of me to survey the situation and work out how deep the shit was that I was currently in.

Lorenzo and Theodore stood either side of Mattheo, although back several steps, and looking slightly alarmed. I was pretty sure they were the ones that had a hold of me to start with, but Lorenzo must have backed off after I kicked Theodore in the balls.

Speaking of him, he was still doubled over slightly, face contorted in pain.

Weak.

"Why are you following us?" Mattheo asked, glaring down at me, thanks to the fact that he was at least several inches taller than me.

"I'm not following you, what gave that impression?" I asked, adding the perfect amount of both innocence and confusion into my tone.

"Well how exactly did you end up in the exact same part of the school as us, at the same time of night?" He challenged.

"I walked." I responded, rolling my eyes as I crossed my arms, despite the fact that he still had a wand pressed to my throat. Although I hadn't actually seen one of those used before, I was pretty sure they must be powerful, considering the fact that wizards relied solely on them for protection.

"Oh wow, what a fucking smartass." He scoffed sarcastically.

"Hurry the fuck up and tell me what you want." I snapped, starting to get fed-up with his bullshit. At this point I just wanted to go back to the dorm and sleep.

"Why don't you just tell me what the hell you're doing out here?" Mattheo snapped. "Remember I'm the one with a wand to your throat." His words were icy and calm, underlined with a very obvious threat.

"I've already told you the truth." I responded nonchalantly, trying my best to sound unfazed, although I was practically shitting myself, considering the vulnerable position I was in right now.

"We're not dumb, just tell us the truth and then maybe we'll let you go." Theodore cut in from where he stood a little further back. He seemed to have recovered slightly, and was now standing up normally.

"Well clearly you are dumb if you thought it would be a good idea to put your genitals within kicking range." I shot back.

Theodore opened his mouth to say something in retaliation, but Mattheo cut him off. "Theo, calm down." He snapped, before turning back to me and stepping closer.

I could feel the point of his wand jabbing into my throat uncomfortably, and I did my best not to squirm as he glared at me, dark eyes fierce.

"We're going to give you one more chance. Tell us what you're doing out here."

"Maybe I will if you tell me what you're doing out here." I retaliated, despite knowing I was on very thin ice at the moment.

Mattheo let out a grumble of annoyance, still glaring at me.

"You better watch your back around here, Potter." He said icily. "I know you're up to something."

I scoffed, and smirked slightly. This guy thought he could threaten me? I'd literally killed immortal monsters, a few teenage boys were nothing I couldn't handle. "Oh don't worry, I will. But I can tell I'm not the only one up to something."

I pushed his wand away from my throat, then turned around and walked off, ignoring the hostile glares that pierced my back as I headed off down the corridor. The moment I turned the corner and got out of their sight, I broke into a run, until I eventually made it back to the stairs leading down into the dungeons.

Holy shit. I thought as I jogged quickly down the stairs. Despite the cocky front I'd put on in front of the transfer students, I'd practically been shitting myself the entire time.

Okay, those guys are definitely up to something, no question about it. I walked briskly through the dungeons, until I reached what I was pretty sure was the correct wall. I'll have to keep spying on them, just being less obvious about it now that they suspect me.

I felt around on the wall for several moments, until I finally found the right brick and pressed down on it, causing the wall to retract and the door to appear.

I muttered the password, feeling a bit self-conscious about taking to a door, for the gods sakes.

As I made my way back into my dorm room, I came to a conclusion: I wouldn't tell the headmaster, not yet. It would be best if I waited until I had a bit more info about whatever they were up to, then I'd go to him like I'd been instructed by Hecate.

I crawled under the covers of my bed, groaning quietly at the welcoming coziness, as I pulled my dagger, wand and phone out of my pocket and set them on the bedside table. I snuggled down onto the blankets, sighing in relief as I prayed that I would at least get a couple hours of sleep before I had to wake up for school tomorrow.

A/N:

I got a concussion a couple of days ago while I was at school, so if something in this chapter doesn't make sense it's probably because I'm likely still not fully mentally stable 😃

Anyways, remember to eat, drink, and remember that you are loved and appreciated <3

- Jade 💚