Chapter 2: Fiery Encounter

Taleah POV

"Thanks again for helping us, Tally. We truly do appreciate it." Cheryl said as we walk down the nature path.

"No problem, but there is something I would like to ask you." I said as we pass a flower bush.

"What is it?" Cheryl asked, looking at me.

I look at her and said, "Well, Kaden was telling us that the reason why the Vulcan attacked the village again was because of your brother and his friends. Do you know anything about that?"

Cheryl turns her head away from me and looks at the flower bush near us, her eyes looking nervous.

"Cheryl." I said.

I could tell from the look in her eyes that she did, in fact, knew something about what Kaden had said to Jade and me when we arrived.

She turned to look back at me and nods.

"But you cannot tell our mother. Please. She can't know about it." Cheryl begged.

"But why not?" Jade asked.

"Because... because..." Cheryl said, trying to talk.

I sighed and placed my hand on top of her head.

"I won't say a word about this to her, but if the Vulcan attacks again, next time we come back, you owe us an explanation, okay?" I told her.

Cheryl looks up at me and nods.

"Okay then." I said as we got off the nature path and got back on the main road.

"Here, as promised. sixty-one thousand jewel and more herb supplies." Cheryl said, handing us the reward money and the herbs.

"Thanks a lot, we were running out of herbs, so I say this job request was perfect timing." Jade said as I took the money and put it in my purse.

"Feel free to stop by anytime. We love it when you two come over." Cheryl said.

"We'll try, though working for the Magic Council does take up a lot of our time." I told her.

"Yeah, I know, but still, it would be nice if you two came by once in a while, and not just by a job request. I feel like you two would especially love the festivals we have in the village." Cheryl said.

"We can try, but we make no promises." Jade said.

I put the herbs in our supply kit and said, "Well, we better get going. We have another job to do today."

I look at Cheryl and said, "You and your brothers take care of yourselves okay. And please, try to stay away from the Vulcan's cave. I sealed him away for now, but that ice spell won't last for too long."

Cheryl nods and waves us goodbye as Jade and I walked down the main path back to the train station.

"So, what do you think Cheryl is hiding?" Jade asked as we walked.

I sighed and said, "I'm not sure. Though, knowing her brothers, they're probably trying to get payback on the Vulcan for what happened to Estela."

"Their older sister, right?" Jade asked.

I nod and say, "It was the Vulcan that killed their sister, so it makes sense that they would target him for revenge, even after their mother told them not to go after him."

"Well, hopefully after today's attack, they'll finally leave him alone. Maybe if they back off, he will too." Jade said as we arrive at the train station.

"Somehow, I doubt it, but for now, let's leave the matter be. We've got another job to complete." I said.

I pay for our tickets as we board the train and took our seats.