3. Into the new world

Lina wiped the thin layer of steam off the mirror and met her own eyes. Although clean, she felt a strange feeling in the pit of her stomach. If she wanted to survive from now on, she would have to play along: quietly and calmly as she often did to sneak out of trouble.

 Without minding her towel wrapped body, she peaked outside the bathroom to make sure she hadn't just been hallucinating this hauntingly handsome man. His back was to her, seeming particularly interested in her wide collection of books piled up on the floor.  

In the next second he turned around to look at her. Lina jumped, making her towel fall off her. She let out a tiny squeak and shut the door as quickly as her reflexes allowed her. 

The incident caused the man to swallow down hard and look at the floor in thought. He had never come across someone like her, not even before the world went to shit.

"Clumsy." He muttered to himself. 

Sure he was used to people being intimidated by him, and for them to fear him, beg him for mercy... He could get anything and everything he wanted from them with a single swing of his Lucille. All that is, except, some humor. Although he hadn't spent a lot of time with this woman, he sensed something in her that he possessed himself; a certain light-heartedness towards death and suffering. Only she used it to stay afloat, while he used this as an advantage over others . Maybe he was wrong... either way, he was officially intrigued. 

"What's your name?" 

Lina finally stepped out of the bathroom wearing a pair of jeans, a dark red long sleeved shirt under a big jacket, and some combat boots she was lucky enough to snatch off of a dead one not long ago. 

"I'm Negan." He said as he looked her up and down; his only thought being how much better she was not covered in canned chili. He didn't know if he would ever forget that visual though. 

"Are you Negan?" Lina realized he wasn't joking after she smiled, but he didn't. 

That's a first.  

"No I don't think I am." She replied awkwardly. 

Negan looked at her for a few seconds with an expression she just couldn't figure out, then snapped out of it. 

"Grab your stuff. We're leaving." 

--

As they walked, Lina was still thinking over the whole experience. She could be walking into a community of cannibals for all she knew. As those thoughts raced through her mind she glanced at the man walking beside her. She began to wonder what kind of leader Negan was. 

"Enjoying yourself?" 

Lina immediately changed her view to right ahead, failing to hide her rosy cheeks. 

Once they reached the town where it all began he mentioned his car wasn't far.

Feeling a bit stuffed, Lina removed her jacket and wrapped it around her waist before looking almost straight up at the sky. The color was a mix of blues and oranges with white streaks across. She was incredibly thankful that this apocalypse was not one that interfered with her very serious sky-gazing hobby.

It was her way of freshening up. She did feel Negans eyes on her but she proceeded to take a deep breath anyway.  She wished she could distract herself with some music too, but being out in the open she couldn't compromise her already clumsy senses. 

"Sit on the front". Lina snapped her head down, surprised by his demanding tone. She realized they were only a few steps away from a gray jeep that was somehow in near perfect condition. Noticing how his mood had gone from playful to strict, she quickly made herself comfortable on the passenger seat. 

Lina immediately pulled her earbuds out of her pocket, as well as an mp3 player with her favorite songs downloaded. Without looking at Negan she laid back and closed her eyes as the music graced her ears. 

Negan looked at her periodically. He was convinced she had fallen asleep by the way her chest expanded and contracted steadily. He was jealous of how peaceful she looked. In reality Lina had been counting the songs she heard from the town until they reached their final location. It was no more than a 30 minute drive from the town. 

How did I not get caught sooner...

She put away her music player and sat up straight. The gates were opened by a couple of similarly scary men. 

"Welcome to my Sanctuary sweetheart."

Negan didn't say much after that. His expression had changed to one even more menacing, making Lina not want to say anything either. She would ask questions when the time was right, and if she didn't, she would get some answers one way or another. 

Cool, Calm and Fucking Collected.

As Negan led her to the place she would stay in, she observed the nature of the factory. It really seemed more industrial and not anything like a sanctuary. Lina noticed how few women and children there were. Even when she could point them out, they all had the same look in their face once they noticed Negans presence. She then looked at him. She additionally noted the rougher stride he had, and how his posture changed from when they toured the abandoned town by themselves. This change in behavior let Lina know that he is at least human enough to emotionally adapt to situations, meaning she did have a chance at getting the better of him. 

Emotions... emotions... that's something I can work with. 

They finally reached a hallway full of doors. 

"This is you." He said while opening one of them. The room was definitely a downgrade from her grandmother's place, but she was not one to complain. Negan observed her reaction, not being able to tell what she was thinking. That seemed to be the constant case with this girl, which as much as he hated to admit it, did bother him. 

"You are one very lucky lady." He finally mused with an instant smirk. 

"Why's that?" Lina instantly flipped around, her brows so obviously furrowed in confusion. 

"Well, if nothing burns down tomorrow, I'll give you a proper introduction to this place myself." He leaned against the doorway, Lucille over his shoulder. 

"Ah yes, because it looked like everyone we passed by was yearning to be by your side like I was." As soon as those words left her mouth she blushed. Negans expression hardened, however, his eyes twinkled. He stepped closer to her, enjoying every micro-expression that gave  her nervousness away. At this point their bodies were about to touch as he was towering over her. 

"Don't worry darlin'..." His breath fell over her face, his deep quiet voice sent chills down her spine. 

"Soon you will see what I am, and I will make sure you learn to never speak to me that way again."