Chapter 3 - Coming to Terms

"What are we gonna do?!"

"I don't know!"

"Did you see Lucy?"

"Did you see Bella's face?!"

"Forget that crackpot! Did you see how-"

"She is SO writing to my mum!"

"He turned his back on me in the corridor!"

"Our Parents are totally gonna freak out!"

"I was trying to talk to him and he-" Iris's voice cracked as tears streamed down her face.

Remus and James had yet to say anything. They were busy looking back and forth between the two, it was James who decided to speak up.

"I'm sure it's not that bad...surely they'll get over it right?" he asked. Iris shook her head getting more upset.

"No you don't understand James! When our parents find out that we were sorted into Gryffindor they will be Furious!" Iris said as she stood up and started pacing. She tried wiping away her tears but eventually gave up as they seemed to continue to flow down her cheeks.

Remus Furrowed his eyebrows. "Surely they can't hold it against you though, right? I mean it not like they would-" Remus was cut off by a loud gasp from James as he stared at Iris in horror. While Remus had been talking Iris had untied her scarf and ripped it off.

Her bruises were now on full display for the three boys to see. Remus's eyes got wide and he looked between her and Sirius with a pale face.

"This" Iris began in a quiet voice. "is what happened when I jokingly mentioned being placed in a different house. can you imagine what will happen when they find out I was put in Gryffindor?" Iris huffed as she put her scarf back on and sat back down next to Sirius and leaned into his side.

"Well, I, um I don't know what to say guys, I'm dreadfully sorry." Remus said quietly. The four children sat in a strained silence before Sirius spoke up. "Let's uh- let's get up to bed, maybe things will look better in the morning, yeah?"

Iris nodded and stood up. They headed towards the stairs and before Iris could make her way up the staircase she felt a tug on her sleeve. She turned to see Sirius looking up at her and he managed to smile at her.

"It'll all work out Ivy, it has too." he said before heading up to his own dorm. As Iris went up to hers she could'nt help but think how ironic it was those same words she had said to her brother. She only hoped Sirius was right. Mostly because she didn't know what she would do if he was wrong.

———————————————————

The Next morning Iris got dressed into her robes and made sure her scarf was tied over her neck as she made her way down the staircase and to the great hall, before she could walk in her brother grabbed her by the arm and pulled her aside. They stared at each other for a minute before Iris broke the silence.

"Lucy..."

She said her voice barely above a whisper, Lucious didn't know if it was because of the pain in sadness in his sisters voice, or the stone cold fear that had dropped into his stomach like a stone and stayed there since last night when his sister had been sorted into Gryffindor, whatever the reason he pulled her into a bone crushing hug just as she started sobbing and as he pet her hair and rubbed her back and told her everything would be okay, Although deep down he knew that nothing would ever be the same.

"Ms.Malfoy is everything alright?" Lucious looked up to see professor McGonagal's concerned face. Iris shook her head as she buried her face deeper into her brother's robes and answered her through her sobs, because her face was covered however, the professor just heard muffled mumbles.