01 | The False God

Inspiration:

Tian Guan Ci Fu
Heavensent (winterlogic)
History (Froxenlake)
Omniscient Reader
The criminal lack of Gojo x Male Readers

Disclaimer: This story is a work of fiction and is not meant to offend any religion it may reference.

01 | The False God

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"I swear by the river Styx to wield nothing less than unwavering loyalty to Her Majesty Nemesis, goddess of revenge, for as long as I lend my assistance. Should I dare break this oath, may the divinity fade from my wings and my soul burn in the inferno of Tartarus for all eternity."

Long [HairColor(s)] hair slipped down a man's shoulder as he knelt on the ground, his right hand pressed firmly over his sternum. He paid no mind to the locks of hair curtaining his face as he bowed his head deeply, the pristine pair of wings on his back draped low to the ground in a form of submission.

A woman—or more accurately, a goddess—stood before him with watchful brown eyes. The pure-white robes draped over her figure shifted with her movement as she held out her hand expectantly. The man raised his head enough to be on eye-level with her awaiting hand, but not enough to actually see her face. He lifted his own hand to hold hers in place, his touch feather-light as he pressed gentle lips to her knuckles. Almost instantly, he felt energy coursing through his body as dozens of words began to etch themselves into his skin and glow brightly. On the back of his hand, the word "revenge" appeared in Greek. All along his arms and legs, "revenge," "retribution," "vengeance," and other similar phrases tattooed the surface.

He released the deity's hand and remained where he was kneeling as he tried to get accustomed to the newfound connection between their cores. It typically took a few days for Lower Celestials like him to be fully acclimated to such a new source of sacred energy and power. It wasn't uncomfortable or painful by any means, it just felt foreign. But as stated before, it's nothing that time couldn't fix.

"You may rise," the goddess said, her voice firm and unwavering. The Lower Celestial at her feet straightened his back and stood upright. The enormous wings on his back tucked themselves in as he faced his new deity and waited for her to continue speaking. She observed him for a few moments as if recalling something, her expression and overall demeanor difficult to read. Lower Celestials of her section stood idly at the bottom of the steps that led to where they were, none daring to do anything that may draw attention as they snuck curious glances at the new addition.

"So you're the Principle who Aristaeus has been chatting our ears off about," Nemesis finally said. Her tone was equally as difficult to pinpoint, being neither derogatory nor praising—only neutral. "He said that you have a hot temper, but also that you're an exceptionally hard worker."

The [blonde, black, etc.]-haired Celestial didn't say anything in response.

"You've only been a Celestial for a little over a thousand years and you're already starting to make a name for yourself," she continued, her voice airy. "Commendable, but also adds pressure to constantly improve. I've seen many who have crumbled under such boundless expectations and get deranked."

Still, he said nothing.

The goddess, not expecting an answer anyway, gave a lazy smile brimming with intrigue, the feathers of her own wings puffing slightly as her voice softened to a drawl. "[Name], was it? Welcome to the section."

Like she said, there have been many Celestials before [Name] who showed a lot of promise. Most of them eventually grew to buckle under the weight of their own achievements and were unable to either maintain their rank or get promoted. Some prevailed, and even less were able to surpass the Three Circles entirely and reach ascension. He eventually came to witness the cycle himself.