02 | Daffodils

02 | Daffodils

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

[Name]'s eyes flickered across the beaming sorcerer's face, his skin prickling anew with unfathomable rage that spread from his chest to the tips of his fingers. The small flames of the lanterns around them flickered wildly and the room temperature rose significantly in response to his emotions.

"Executed," he parroted, the word heavy on his tongue. His teeth bit down around it in a haphazard attempt to contain the venomous insults that crowded his mouth.

"Our elders are cowards, you see. Since we don't know who–or more accurately, what–you are and what your intentions may be, they'd rather not take any risks. They're demanding that you be executed right away, actually!"

[Name] continued to pin him under his glare, as if waiting for the human to kowtow and beg to be chained to the side of a mountain to repent for his transgressions. When that didn't happen, the Seraph scoffed incredulously, almost laughing out of pure anger. He could just about burn this entire building to the ground right here and now.

"Humans are always arrogant, no matter the era," [Name] said to himself, not caring that he was heard. "Only your kind would be idiotic enough to turn your nose up at the heavens. We should've wiped you out and started over after all."

He tilted his head up, locks of bloody [blonde, black, etc.] hair falling out of his face as he looked down his nose at the sorcerer. "You can't execute me," he nearly sneered. "I'm a Celestial, specifically a Seraph."

"A Celestial?" The white-haired man echoed, completely unfazed. "Like from heaven? You look like you just crawled out of hell, though."

"Keep talking and I'll send you there."

"Woww, scary!" The sorcerer sing-songed while leaning forward on his chair. "Aren't you supposed to be an angel?"

Offended, [Name] huffed and shot him a dirty look. "Don't compare me to such a low rank, you dolt. I'm a Seraph, not an angel."

The man raised his hands in mock surrender. "Sorry, sorry. You can't really blame me, though. I didn't even know you guys existed until 20 seconds ago." He crossed his arms over the back of the chair and let his chin rest on them, his tone taking a more serious edge. "That still doesn't explain what happened, though."

For the nth time, [Name]'s eyes narrowed. During his thousand-year absence, it was glaringly obvious that a lot of things changed. Judging by what this irritating human said, the mortal realm and the Heavenly realm aren't nearly as intertwined as they used to be. That, or this human was living under a rock. And as stupidly carefree as he acted, [Name] doubted that was the case.

While he lacked any solid confirmation, his intuition told him that they lost the war. How a mere human could reach the status of a god was beyond him, but it happened. He knew for a fact that it happened. He sensed a strangely divine aura from Sukuna the moment he got close enough—it was the very same aura that every True Celestial possessed, he was sure of it. But even if by some miracle they didn't lose, a human was able to kill who-knows-how-many of his kind. It wasn't only one Celestial that he slaughtered, and even if it was, that wasn't anything to yawn at. People weren't supposed to achieve such atrocious feats. The consequences of such a shameful tragedy would forever loom over the heavens, that much he was certain.

So it was no wonder that the humans of the modern age didn't know a thing about Celestials, much less the fact that they were real. But here [Name] was in some unknown location, bound to a chair while some weird blindfolded sorcerer attempted to interrogate him. And if it was true that there was a shockwave of unknown energy (that energy was likely his sacred energy, which people wouldn't be familiar with if Celestials were iffy about the mortal realm), then it must've been detected by others, too.