Chapter 13: Waterfall

The boat ride was short and fast, which was great because it meant I could get off the cursed thing. "Tralalalala. We have arrived." Boat Person says, as the legs retracted into the boat. "Do I owe you anything?" I ask, curious if he had a boat fare. "No." He replies simply. I look at Chara, and she shrugs, so we hop off the boat and onto the dark blue ground.  Chara sets the blanket I had wrapped around me on the ground. It flew off mid trip, and I couldn't catch it, so she did.

"Alright, I want to show you something, so close your eyes, and I'll guide you." Chara says, floating in front of me. "Alright, I'm trusting you not to push me into the river or anything like that." I saw, chuckling a bit as I did as she asked, closing my eyes. I felt her take my hand, and we started to walk somewhere. I could hear water rushing by, and I swear I could hear some voices, too.

After a few minutes, she stopped. "Alright, you can open your eyes now." Chara says, and I do. In front of me was a beautiful waterfall, and we were in a dark-ish room with blue flowers all around. I took a few seconds to take it all in and gather my bearings. "This place is amazing..." I say quietly, barely above a whisper. "Mhmm. I never even took Frisk here. It's been my secret for so long now. I'm glad I could share it with you." Chara says, smiling at me.

"I'm glad I could share it with you." I heard her voice echo from behind her.

"What was that?" I ask, curious and confused. Chara turned around and saw a bigger version of the little blue flowers. "This is an echo flowers. They reverberate whatever they hear. Sometimes, they are connected, and you can hear a conversation from one end of Waterfall to the other." Chara explains, turning back to me. "Huh. Neat." I reply, walking over and looking at the flower curiously.

The flower echoed Chara's voice a few times, and I heard a few other voices coming from the other flowers. Chara seemed to be enjoying herself, floating around happily, going from flower to flower. She stopped for a minute, and I swear I saw her mouth move, but I couldn't hear what she said, so I assumed she was talking to the flower.

As I walked closer, I stopped when I heard Undyne's voice coming from a flower in between the two of us. Chara picked her head up and looked at the flower as her face dropped.

"Seven. Seven human SOULs and King Asgore becomes a god..." A distinct sound of metal scraping against metal came next, before Undynes voice picked up again, this time her breathing was ragged and she sounded injured at first, but as she spoke she sounded like she quickly healed. "You... You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT!"

The flower goes quiet, having echoed its peice, but its message was felt. Chara had drifted down to the floor. Her face was hidden by her hair as she looked to the floor. I kneeled down next to her, silently putting my arm around her shoulder to comfort her.

As soon as my hand touched her shoulder, she suddenly stood up, causing me to lose my balance and fall over. I quickly get to my feet. "Are you alright, Chara?" I ask, cautiously as she was acting strange. She didn't look at me, but one of her hands opened a bit while the other balled into a fist.

In the open hand, a red knife appeared. "Chara, are you alright?" I call out to her again. She didn't respond. She looked up, but her eyes were hazed over, like she wasn't quite seeing me.

Suddenly, and silently, she lunged at me, catching me off guard, and the knife cut my shoulder. "Chara! Come on, snap out of it!" I yell, grasping my arm. It wasn't deep, I'd be fine, but I was wholly inexperienced with fighting, and I didn't want to hurt her.

She wasn't herself right now. That much was clear. She tried to rush me again, but I grabbed her arms, holding on tight so she couldn't move. She struggled heavily against my grip, but I didn't budge. "Chara, calm down. It's me. It's just me." I say, trying to calm her down, but to no avail.

That's when I heard the echo flower talk, and as soon as it did, Chara stopped struggling, and the knife disappeared, so I let her go. "(Y/n). There's a lot of things that I could say, and I want to say, but I'm not great at this, and this echo flower probably won't keep my entire message if I said them all. So I'll just say this. I-" The flower cuts off there, leaving me wondering what the message said.

Chara flinched as if coming back to reality. "(Y/N)?! O-oh god... I... I'm so sorry..." She says, looking up at me then at the cut on my shoulder. She latches onto me, burying her head into my shoulder as she hugs me. "Chara, Chara, it's OK. I'm fine. It's just a small cut." I respond, trying to calm her down some. She sobs into my shoulder. "I'm so, so sorry for hurting you... I thought I was back then, fighting Undyne..." Chara explains, answering one of the questions floating in my head. "It's fine. Really. I don't care how many times you break down, I'll always be here to hold you together." I say softly, holding her close.

We slowly drift to the ground, holding onto each other. "Sometimes, you say some really cheesy things..." Chara mutters, causing me to chuckle as she lifts her head and wipes her eyes. I smile at her, and she smiles back.

We held eachothers gaze for a few minutes before I spoke up. "So, what was that flower talking about?" I ask, curious. "That was about one of Frisk and I's battles with Undyne, in one of the bad timelines." Chara explains, wiping her eyes free of tears.

"Not that one, the other one." I clarify. She quickly blushes and buries her face in my shoulder again to hide it. "We don't have to talk about that one." She says quickly. "No, no, I think we should." I respond, pulling away a small bit so I could see her face. She was blushing heavily and avoiding my gaze.

"It, uh, it was supposed to say this stuff, so I didn't have to." Chara says, taking a deep breath and looking me straight in the eye. "(Y/N). There's so much I want to say, and one day I probably will, but I want you to know that you are special to me. Special in a way no one else has been before. I-" Chara continues before the echo flower decides to cut her off, picking up right where it left off.

"I love you."

And the next thing I knew, Chara kissed me before I had a chance to react.

*

(I suck at writing this, lol. I hope you enjoy, and feedback is always welcome.)