Amato Madness

Marceline trotted up the steps in her white wedged heels after drinking all evening with her coworkers. She drifted and stumbled to her apartment door, worrying about the attention she might draw from her neighbors.
Marceline opened the door and flicked on the light, walking in and setting down her keys, and sitting to take her heels off. She stood and walked down the hall but stopped in her tracks. At the end of the hall was a small woman with her head down. She stood straight and was at most 5"even, leaving Marceline feeling like a blue whale, the largest animal in the world. Adrenaline coursed through her body, sobering Marceline up a large amount. She stammered out gibberish before taking a breath and trying to speak through the shock again:

"Who are you?" She asked, projecting her voice and standing straight to seem intimidating to this trespasser. The woman spoke, never lifting her head to meet Marceline's eyes.

"My name is Rosa and I am your dedicated maid. I was hired by your mother, Ms Amato. I am happily awaiting instruction."
Marceline was beyond freaked out by this woman; she seemed so broken and defeated. Red flags were raised in Marceline's head, but she put on a smile and approached Rosa. Rosa looked up at Marceline with a blank expression.

"How long have you been here? I've been out all night and it's what, past midnight?"
Marceline talked with a delicate tone. She knows that Rosa is likely not a maid but rather an indentured servant. Marceline would call her mother in the morning to demand answers as to why the hell a woman showed up in her house.
Rosa didn't answer right away. Marceline waited but she didn't speak so instead she walked past Rosa and went to the kitchen.

"Have you had anything to eat, Rosa? I have pasta and other things," she hesitated for a second before turning back to Rosa, who had snuck behind Marceline.
"Or is she starving you, too?" Marceline asked sarcastically.
Rosa's eyes widened before being quickly corrected. Marceline's stomach dropped a thousand feet and her smile dropped.
"..I can't believe it. I wasn't being serious but I can't believe that she would starve a human..." She looked down for a moment before looking back at Rosa.

"So, can I treat you to some homestyle risotto and my special garlic bread? My recipe for garlic bread is immaculate," she uttered tenderly in an attempt to make Rosa feel comfortable.
"Yes ma'am, if I am allowed to go against the specific orders of your mother," Rosa whispered to Marceline. She realized how cracked Rosa's lips were and how dry her delicate voice was. Marceline turned and started looking in her cabinets for tea and honey while pondering what to say in return to Rosa.

"Rosa, do want some tea?" She asked, already filling the kettle with water. Rosa stood silently with her hands folded in front of her. Marceline felt so lost and even hurt by her mother.
Marceline spent years trying to convince her mother that she could move out. She never wanted to hurt her mom or make her angry, so she stayed at home until she was 21. Her mother finally let her go to an apartment near her school. Marceline felt so weird and gross about her mother buying a person. She never thought her mother could be this insane and disgusting.

Marceline poured boiling water into a mug with a tea bag and honey before pushing it to the bar seat. Rosa walked over to the stool and sat, immediately trying to sip the tea. Marceline shot her hand out to stop it.
"Hey-! That's boiling!" she projected as gently as possible. She put the mug on the table and put her hand on Rosa's.
"Wait three minutes for the tea to steep, take the bag out, then stir in the honey. It'll still be too hot, so I can give you an ice cube. Okay, Rosa? Please say you hear me and understand what I'm saying. I don't want you to get burned."

Marceline searched desperately inside of Rosa's eyes. She was unsuccessful in finding any hint of self in Rosa. The realization that Rosa was deeply abused and her self was ripped from her made Marceline feel gross, especially now that she owns her.
Rosa looked up and nodded, making Marceline feel at ease. She turned back into the kitchen and stirred the pot of risotto on the stove. The apartment smelled deeply of cheese and garlic, making Rosa feel very hungry. She felt uncomfortable in her seat and tried to focus on Marceline to calm down. She asked Rosa a question upon noticing that she was staring at her, "So, Rosa, where are you from? You have a beautiful accent."