On the run

This is the prequel to my 'Mo Dao Zu Shi' fanfic that no one asked for, but because this is one of my most-read fanfics and because the idea had been in my head for a while, I wrote it anyway as a little extra for those who can't get enough of it. I wrote the main story first, but chronologically, the events in this prequel take place first. I put them here in the order I wrote them, but I think you can read them in whatever order you like.

summary: How did they manage to catch Lan Sizhui? Lan Yuan's perspective on that which precedes the main story of 'Sacrifice: a broken family'.

-------------------------------------

It has been a few days since Lan Yuan had the conversation with Wen Ning that turned his life upside down. It has been a few days since he discovered that he was not born in the Lan clan at all, but in the Wen clan. It has been a few days, but he still hasn't said anything to his best friend Lan Jingyi and his boyfriend Jin Ling.

He knows he should tell them one day, but he doesn't have the courage, because he is afraid of their reaction. Being a Wen is not exactly a good way to make and keep friends since the great war between the different clans.

In his inattention, he trips over a protruding tree root, almost causing him to fall. Jin Ling grabs his arm to hold him up and Lan Jingyi also turns around in surprise.

"Sizhui, what's wrong? You seem so distracted recently," his best friend notices and he can't blame him. His thoughts keep wandering back to that one conversation, when really, he should be focusing on the night hunt that they are currently engaged in.

"You know you can always tell us if there's anything bothering you?" Jin Ling reminded him, gently squeezing his hand. Lan Yuan knows his boyfriend is trying very hard to hide it, but concern still glints in his eyes.

"Yes, thank you," Lan Yuan forces a small smile, but he also knows he cannot go on like this. He must tell them. He promises himself that he will tell them this evening. He must trust that this will not change anything about their relationships and friendships.

"That's him!" sounds a rather ferocious voice behind them. "That's the lost Wen spawn!" Lan Yuan stiffens, and his eyes get big. Behind them is a group of nine adult men, armed for the night hunt, only they don't seem to be hunting monsters or evil spirits, but him.

"What the hell do you mean?" Asks Lan Jingyi defiantly, "We are from the Lan clan and the Jin clan. You don't want to mess with us." The men were clearly from a less prominent clan, but that did not make them any less intimidating.

Lan Yuan unconsciously takes a step back and Jin Ling looks back at him, because he is still holding his hand, "Sizhui? What's going on?" He can't get out of it, he's sure that his friends both feel that there is more to it, but he can't explain it now. He had hoped he could do it on his own time, when he would be ready, but now he is forced to reveal his secret without getting the time to explain it thoroughly.

Jingyi too has now realised how uncomfortable his friend feels and he takes the lead. "Jin Ling, get Sizhui out of here, I will distract them," he says as he draws his sword and stands protectively in front of the duo.

"Jingyi," Lan Yuan protests, but his friend interrupts him immediately.

"I trust you to tell us if there is anything." The men start to move closer, and Lan Jingyi insists: "Go now, this is not right."

Lan Yuan still hesitates, but Jin Ling is already pulling him along on the winding forest path they were following earlier. In other circumstances, this would be a great place for a romantic walk, but now that they seem to be running for their lives, he cannot enjoy it.