Two

Money is a problem we face in my family and it would not be easy to ask my mum for the ₦5000 we were asked to pay.

Helen:(heard the knock on the door) hey Viva,I think mum is home already
Viva:kk,go open the door for her
Mrs Anderson:(carries Helen and kiss her forehead)oh my sweetheart,how are you..
Helen: I'm fine mum,but early this morning viva spanked my head
Viva:mum, welcome ma
Mrs Anderson: Helen told me you spanked her this morning,why?
Viva: I'm sorry mum but she passed her boundary
Mrs Anderson: I've told you not to beat her again that she's still a little girl
Viva:but mum...
Mrs Anderson:(cuts in) I don't wanna hear any but
Viva:mum,you pamper this girl too much (walks away)
Mrs Anderson:(to Helen) hope you weren't injured?
Helen:not at all mum (giggles)
Mrs Anderson: Alright, let's go to bed
                Later that night
Viva:(knocks on the door to her mum's room)can I come in?
Mrs Anderson:oh, viva,what is it? You know I need to be up early tomorrow so I need lots of sleep
Viva: Yes I know mum but I need to talk to you about something we were asked to pay for in school before Monday
Mrs Anderson:If it's about money,viva you know I don't have
Viva:Yes I know but it's only ₦5000 and it's for the payment for the textbook we will use in preparation for the exams
Mrs Anderson:Viva,you know things like that are not compulsory for you since you've got your brain,you could read and learn.
Viva:Mum,you say read but read what exactly? Since I neither have textbooks nor any past questions that I can study,what do you want me to read then?
Mrs Anderson:Viva but you know I don't have enough money especially not now. I have to pay the bills and take care of both you and your sister
Viva:Mum, that's what you always say,but what bills exactly? Dad built this house for us to live in and the electricity and the water bill are not too expensive
Mrs Anderson: Viva,are you trying to tell me I have the money but I don't want to give it to you??
Viva:But mum,if it was Helen who was asking you for the money, you'd have given it to her. Goodnight mum,see you tomorrow (leaves)
Mrs Anderson:(sighs)
                Next morning
Viva:(moves down the stairs) Mum,good morning ma
Mrs Anderson: morning viva,hope your night was good
Viva: Yes ma(moves towards the kitchen)
Mrs Anderson:Viva,go wake your sister
Viva: Mum,I'm sorry but I'll not be going to school today
Mrs Anderson: And why is that?
Viva: Mum,you don't know the feeling when everyone had paid and I am the only person left behind. I would feel embarrassed especially when walking into the class and being called out to ask why I haven't paid.
Mrs Anderson: But Viva you know it wouldn't be right for you to stay home, especially your little sister, She's got  a long way to go in her studies so it would be a risk to allow her stay home.
Viva: Mum please, let's not talk about Helen and focus on me now and how I feel,please?
Mrs Anderson:Viva,I didn't mean to. It's just that this money issue is a big burden for me so I'm trying as hard as possible to get a better paying job.
Viva: Mum,I think I can use my skill. I can go out and sell some of my drawings.
Mrs Anderson: Viva, that's a risky thing to do.
Viva: Mum, please I need to buy that textbook and I only have today and tomorrow to make payments. Please mum
Mrs Anderson:(sighs) I've got no choice then,but what if it doesn't work out?
Viva: let's be positive mum(Helen comes in)
Helen: Good morning mum.
Mrs Anderson:Oh my little princess (kiss her forehead) I don't think you'd be going to school today
Helen:uh...uh,but why?(stares at Viva)
Viva:Oh don't stare at me, you're not the one who's in need of urgent money (goes out)
Mrs Anderson:Oh, don't worry you'll resume on Monday.
(Viva is seen painting and drawing and showing it to people especially when held up in traffic. Some people sends her away while some praise her and tell her to keep up the good work until Annie from her class sees her)
Annie:(Tells her driver to stop the car. To her friend cora) Isn't that viva from our class? (Points towards her direction)
Cora:Yes, she's Viva. I wonder what she's doing on the street by this time. She's not even dressed for school.
Annie:I think she's trying to earn money for the textbook we were asked to buy.
Cora:Oh, that's true (smirks) Should I trying calling her?
Annie:(opens the car door and called out to her)
Viva:(Notices the uniform and acts like she doesn't hear )(to herself)oh my God,I gotta leave this place immediately.(she tries to leave but was already caught by the two girls who patted her on her shoulder)
Annie:Hey, Viva we were just admiring your painting
Cora:Yeah,they look attractive but I'm just wondering why you're selling it out on the road
Annie:Oh,cora you know it's because of the money for the textbook and you know her mum can't afford it.
Viva: Please,I just felt like not coming to school today and I'm out here because I want to show off my skill
Annie:Ohh,I see (takes a painting). How much do you charge??
Viva:Please Annie I don't need it
Annie:Need what? We all know you need the money (Takes ₦5000 from her bag and drops it in the can and picks up the painting) I will be taking this then,the colour fits my room perfectly (smiles and leaves)
Cora:Bye,I hope you sell your paintings (leaves)
Viva:(picks up the money after they'd left) I hope I'm not making a mistake (sighs).