5

The chatter didn't die down, even though it was now near midnight.

"That was delicious!" Rengoku-san said as we walked through the streets.

He emptied 6 bowls.

I couldn't disagree though. The food was delicious.

We were now aimlessly walking around the streets. Everything was fine.

I still couldn't stop thinking that I was being watched... the feeling stayed until I entered the restaurant where we went to eat dinner, and then it just vanished as if it was never there.

That freaked me out even more.

It was probably nothing to worry about.

But the more I thought about it, the more familiar those eyes felt. It's like I've seen them before. It was unsettling. But strangely, it was like a mystery unsettling more than creepy unsettling. I didn't feel... uncomfortable around the presence. Just shocked.

"Yuzuki?" I was startled out of my thoughts as Rengoku-san called out my name just a few feet ahead of where I was standing.

"Yes?" I replied.

"We are planning on heading back!" He said, brightening up the night sky with his sunny smile.

I nodded, and walked up to the two brothers, Senjuro smiled at me before we started to head back to the Flame estate.

The path here reminded me of the same path the night I got attacked by a demon. That boy that saved me... I wonder how he is doing now. I hope he is okay.

"Young Tokito?" My head shot up as Rengoku-san called someone.

That name is oddly familiar.

A young boy approached the street lamps, his face clearing into view as he stepped into the light. His face was calming. He–

That boy! It's him! The boy from that night!

"Hello," The boy spoke quietly, looking up at Rengoku-san. "Have I seen you somewhere?"

Rengoku-san laughed. "Ah, young Tokito! It seems like you have forgotten again!"

Tokito... Tokito Muichiro!

"Oh." He mumbled, trailing off. "Why... why am I here?"

I tilted my head slightly to the side. Does he not remember? If he doesn't remember why he is here, he may have forgotten about me.

Was this also a result of being a demon slayer?

I shook my head, getting rid of those distraught thoughts. A dangerous job comes with dangerous consequences.

Rengoku-san and Tokiot-kun were still talking, with Rengoku-san beaming and speaking lousy and Tokito-kun barely coming up with replies.

"That's the mist hashira, Tokito Muichiro." Senjuro walked up beside me, carefully setting the boxes of mochi down to the ground.

"Mist hashira?" I mumbled, studying the figure that saved my life that night. Nothing changed... maybe his height a little bit.

"Yes." Senjuro nodded. "I believe he is only 14 years of age."

"He is very strong," I stated, turning my attention to Senjuro. "What are we going to do with the mochis? I believe they might go bad if we keep them overnight.

Senjuro clinked slowly as if that just occurred to him.

"Brother? Senjuro called out, catching Rengoku-san's attention. "We have some mochi to deliver.

"Right!" Rengoku-san scratched his head, laughing. "Tokito! Would you like to accompany us?"

Tokito-kun blinked. "Sure," He answered slowly, lifting a box of mochi. He then looked up and stared at me. It seems like it's just now that he is aware of my presence.

I avoided his burning glaze that I could practically feel down my back and picked up a set of boxes.

"Alright," Rengoku-san speaks up. "Follow me!"

The four of us walked down the dirt path steadily with Rengoku-san at the front of the line and Tokito-kun at the back.

We walked for quite a while, the busy streets long behind us. We could hear the wind whistling between the trees and the owls hooting to greet them.

"We are almost there!" Rengoku-san spoke up as we headed into a small secluded area filled with small, cozy estates.

"Why is it so apart from other towns and houses?" I asked out of curiosity.

"This is where the demon slayers reside," Senjuro answered since Rengoku-san didn't seem to hear my quiet question. "There have been cases recently about humans working for demons, so we make sure our corps members are safe."

"Shouldn't you guys move elsewhere too, then?" I asked, concerned about the situation.

"We are okay. We decided it was best for other demon slayers to stay safe. My father was a former hashira, and my brother is one at the moment, so I think we will be okay." The little boy answered.

I nodded but still was unsure. Having two hashiras in one household was indeed very safe, but that didn't guarantee anything.

We walked into the small "village" filled with houses. People were training in their front yards, some talking, some teaching.

"Nice, isn't it?" Rengoku-san saw my interest and spoke up, smiling. "It's surrounded by wisteria trees, which can be poisonous to demons!"

Noted. Wisteria is poisonous to demons.

"Her house is just around the corner there!" Senjuro spoke up, excitement in his tone.

"She'll be excited to meet you!" Rengoku-san chimed in, picking up his pace.

Tokito-kun just stared blankly at me before following the two brothers. I also followed shortly behind, taking in the beauty of the wisteria trees.

After turning the corner, we saw a cozy house that seemed very lively. Some demon slayers were training in the front yard, though it seemed like they did not live there.

"—roji... we're here!" I snapped out of the thoughts as Rengoku-san called out someone's name and I quickly hurried towards the yard.

I flinched when I heard some thumbs and clashes in the house before the door opened with a bang.

A girl was standing by the door with bright pink and green hair...

My eyes widened with shock.

"Kyahhhh!! Rengoku-san! You're here!"

Mitsuri?

~~~~~

Yay- finally an update... since Feb 18-

-Mar 21