BAITED BREATH Part 13

CONTENT WARNING: Beware of Detective Vonn letting the f word slip toward the end of this submission.

The police met with Bree and her parents in a sterile interview room with a steel table and uncomfortable plastic chairs.

"Are you in disguise, Ms. Ballard, or is this the real you?" Vonn asked after he introduced himself to John. He apologized for the oversight in Tom's parents not being informed of his death and funeral.

Harts took each of them by the hand and offered sincere condolences. He expressed his pleasure in seeing Ann again.

"I like that man," Ann said to no one in particular.

Vonn took a ballpoint pen out of his shirt pocket and clicked the retractable button. "Now that that's out of the way, I'm angry that Tom didn't follow procedure or confide in his co-workers. It might have saved his life. But, on the other hand, we wouldn't now know what we do about Jerry Salem Bronwell and his numerous criminal enterprises. The information came at great cost." He bowed his head briefly. "We've spent hundreds of staff hours in various agencies and are no closer to knowing his true identity. Perhaps we never will."

He turned to Bree and spoke slowly, over-enunciating his words. "Ms. Ballard, Harts and I have considered the offer you made the last time you were here. Truthfully, we don't see how your olfactory prowess can help us solve crimes. However, we are prepared to tender a civilian consulting contract to your mother for her expertise in disguises and external tells." He looked at Bree's hands. "There's your tell, Ms. Ballard; you pick at your fingernails."

Bree elbowed her mother and signed for her to interpret. "Your tell is clicking that pen."

Vonn frowned and returned it to his pocket.

Ann and John turned toward one another. John shrugged one shoulder in an "it's up to you" gesture. He said, "I have nothing against my wife helping you out, but we believe you're making a mistake in refusing Bree's offer."

Bree nudged Ann and her flying fingers spelled out a question. "Where's Donetta?"

"Your parents are as skilled as she is in ASL. We don't need her."

Vonn ignored Bree as he discussed terms with her mother. Eventually, he led her parents to the human resource office to walk Ann through the contract. Bree was left alone with Harts. He asked if she was disappointed by their decision. Instead of answering, she stuck her finger in her left cheek and tripped the catch on the wire that held her jaws together, preventing speech.

"What are you doing?"

She opened her mouth wide and exercised her stiff jaw from side to side. "That feels better."   

"You can speak. Why the charade?"

"When I open my mouth, people die."

Bree saw the thoughts race across his face. Harts lunged for the door. She got there first, and they grappled for the doorknob. Bree grabbed his arm. 

"Relax, you're not in any danger from me." She leaned closer and whispered, "You're hyperventilating. Scared?"

"Give me a reason not to be."

"I don't kill good people. It's that simple."

Harts put his hands on his knees and slowed his breathing to normal. "Lady, you have some explaining." He pulled his phone out of his breast pocket and called Vonn. "Get back down here. Bring the parents. Find the captain. I'll call the CDI."

He glared at Bree. "I assume you can hear as well? Go back to your chair and put your hands on the table." He slipped a manacle on one wrist and attached the other end to a ring on the tabletop, murmuring that it was insurance, and she nodded.