Dreams, Desires, and Dread

"But what IS it?"

He stared up as the canvas stretched up above him, seeming to expand endlessly until the abyss threatened to swaddle him, swallowing him whole. Even now, he wobbled on his legs as he gazed up at the piercing lights suspended in the air, swirling about in a spectacle as it painted the dark canvas with navy blue hues.

The strange, tall being glanced down at him, their brilliant eyes turning into fond crescents.

"Those are stars, my dear."

"Stars..." he murmured, breathless as he gazed all around him, trying to count every single one. The mysterious being chuckled, their furry cloak swimming and swirling around them as they shuffled closer to him. A small silence hung in the air before the being spoke again.

"This beauty...It is only possible with light and shadow combined."

He blinked, turning to the being as he watched a complicated emotion flicker over their face. They continued to speak, their hand rising up to reach for the stars.

"The flame. The flower. The forger. The finder. The faithful. The fighter. The forgotten. All of those are needed. Like light and dark, they are needed to flood the world with beauty and colors. You cannot have one without the other."

He was still for a moment before nodding. The being breathed out a sigh, staring back up at the starry expanse. He debated for a little before finally asking something.

"O mysterious one...why do you tell me all this?"

The being paused before chuckling, eyes smiling fondly as they glanced back at him.

"Because you are the destined one, Ben. The dreamer. I know you will do well with information. And you are not one to let knowledge rest."

. . . . .

"You're late again."

Ben flinched, his hands tensing around the edge of the saddle he was readjusting.  He let out a breath as he patted down the seat, hands smoothing the layered shell of his precious creature - a roly-poly being who crooned at the gentle touch.  He turned around, nervously fiddling with the worn cloak over his shoulders as he faced the person behind him.

"I'm sorry, Shane.  I swear, I made an effort not to bring as much junk back this time."

Shane only continued to tap his foot on the mossy step to their home, surveying the bundles mounted on the roly-poly's back before returning his stare to Ben, clearly unamused.

"Sure.  Perhaps you brought back 15 trinkets instead of 30 this time," he speculated.  Ben only cowered more at that.

"'M sorry..." He mumbled.  "But I think you might like some of them this time."

At that comment, he suddenly recalled something.  He quickly turned back, hastily taking one of the bundled leaf sacs from his creature, and digging through it at a desperate pace.

"Wait! I think I found something you might like!"

Shane wavered for a moment, but eventually descended the stairs, his velvet crimson cape brushing lightly over the cobblestone path as he moved to stand right beside his husband's shoulder.  Eventually, Ben turned around, presenting something in his calloused palms.

"Look!"

In his hands, a small, unforged gem glimmered, and dull iron and copper remnants surrounded the turquoise stone.  Glimpses of green and periwinkle shone through it as light caught onto its surface.  Shane gazed into it, contemplating it carefully.