Chapter 4

I didn’t realize I had fallen asleep until I woke in a cold sweat and a leather hand around my mouth. The stranger had a blade in her hand with a finger pressed to her lips. She said nothing as she released my mouth, trusting me to keep quiet. I closed my eyes, taking deep breaths in the dark, trying to calm the severe banging of my heart against my chest. She twisted my lantern to life. I squeezed my eyes shut at the shock of light.  Unsure it was okay to sit up, Only then did I register the sound of blood curdling shrieks in the hallways. The stranger slid her blade back into the hilt along her thigh.

“Get your things,” She ordered, taking in the room as I sat up. I knew what she was. It was how her black cloak swept over the floor. Her quiet steps as she looked over the walls and dressers. The numerous blades at her side glimmered against the lantern light. I had little I wanted to gather before she slaughtered me. And though I considered my bow, it was only to protect myself, not out of necessity. But a bow couldn’t defend me quick enough to preserve my life. While I worked to slide on my boots she paced back and forth, I twisted my head to the balcony doors, wide upon her entry.

"Where are we going?" I asked, working as slowly as I could as if to formulate a plan but my brain was dry.

She didn’t answer, and I still had no other plan. I stood and the pair of eyes above the gowl she wore to cover her face only looked me over before she gestured towards the balcony.

“After you, preferably a bit faster,” She demanded behind me as I dragged my feet. I leaned over the rail gazing at the drop, she couldn’t possibly expect me to jump over, but she tossed a thin black rope over the rail, tying it to a post. She stepped beside me, “Or you could stay here?” She responded to my apprehensive gaze with a slight bite in her tone. I chewed the inside of my mouth, noticing my nostrils burning within the deep smell of smoke. Reluctantly I lifted the pleats of my skirt and climbed over the rail taking the rope unconvinced it would hold my weight. I was pleasantly surprised when I leaned back and it held firm, when I looked up that's when I noticed the climbing fire. I didn’t know the source, only knew it was attached to the mansion and creating a cloud that covered the sky in a daunting pitch black, “Anytime now Princess would be great, I will cut this rope,” I flashed a annoyed glare at her before using the rope to descend down and onto to soggy grass that squished when I landed.

The woman followed suit, dropping beside me and taking a lead towards the barn.

"Who did this?" I asked, wrapping my hands over my arms against the cold.

“I did,” she answered without hesitation and pulled open the barn doors, to my relief Abner was no longer unconscious against the gate. Hopefully Resa had found him before the guards could cause further harm. I yanked uncomfortably at my useless sleeves as the woman unlocked Pretty Boy’s padlock. If she wasn’t slipping reins over his muzzle and pulling him at her side, I would have taken this moment to run into the woods and as far as my legs would carry me. But she climbed on his back and stared down at me. I swallowed so hard my throat hurt.

"Do you know what I am?" she spoke with hostility, not encouraging me to get on in the slightest even with my horse beneath her.

"You're a Sister," I answered, the sound of it sounding vile on my lips.

“So you also know that means someone wants you dead, really dead, so if you would like to keep breathing, please-” She begged, folding her hands dramatically, mimicking a prayer and squeezing her eyes shut, “Please, get on the horse,”

The further we rode the clearer the fire came into view. The source beneath the dome, I imagine the oak was engulfed and near ashes. I felt the need to start grieving but instead I stared past the trees, almost through them unfocused and near exhaustion. I hadn’t built up enough courage to ask if anyone escaped besides me. I assumed the answer. But mumbling into the light and hoping for a response didn’t bring the closure I had hoped. I’ve never asked the Lord of Light for anything, not even to bring my parents back. But now I find myself begging for him to protect Resa, Abner, Killian, and even Fin.