Chapter Two

Vito

Vito laid down on the other bed, trying to ignore the sound of Emily crying coming from the other side of the wall. He knew that she was hurting just as much as he was, but he couldn't bring himself to comfort her. Instead, he tossed and turned in anger until finally falling into an uneasy sleep. In the morning, Vito woke up feeling even more exhausted than usual. He rubbed his eyes and sat up slowly, stretching his muscles and looking around the room. He noticed a small envelope on the nightstand next to his bed and picked it up curiously. Inside was a note from Emily, written in her delicate handwriting. It read:

Emily

My dear Vito,
Please forgive me if my behavior last night caused any additional pain. I understand that you are struggling with the loss of our child just as much as I am, and I never meant to make things worse between us. Let's try to move past this and rebuild our relationship together.
I love you more than anything in this world,
But if you feel the need to leave me, I completely understand and I won't stop you.
Love, Emily
Vito read the letter twice, his heart feeling a mix of emotions. He felt guilty for being so harsh towards her, but he also didn't want to let her sentimental words affect him too deeply. He folded up the letter and put it in his pocket, deciding to ignore it till later.
Vito got dressed and went into the bathroom to take a shower.

Vito

After his shower, Vito decided to go into the living room and sit on the couch for a while. He felt like he needed some time alone to think about everything that had happened lately. As he sat down, he glanced at the other bedroom door and felt a twinge of guilt in his heart, wondering if he should go check on Emily. He spent some time flipping through a magazine absentmindedly, trying to distract himself from his thoughts. Eventually, however, he couldn't take it anymore and stood up abruptly, walking towards the door separating their bedrooms. He paused for a moment, taking a deep breath and then knocked lightly on the door frame.

Authors note: Sorry this chapter is short I kinda wanted to leave it on a cliff hanger cause why not.