Scene 2

Like a porcelain doll, Odette sat on her chair; her posture was perfect and neat. One would think her to be normal if not for the cracks that ran from her palms to her elbow and the ink-like tears that slid her face.

Knocks resounded at the door several times.

'Even the knocks are the same. How boring.' Odette thought as she waited for them to open the door.

Just like she expected, the maids cracked open the door. The sound of gasps could be heard, along with the practically audible trepidation of the two servants.

"M-my lady, what happened in here?" One maid asked as she tried to check on Odette.

"What are you doing?!" The other maid shouted as she grabbed the wrist of her co-worker.
"The floor is too dangerous! Go alert, Head Butler!"

"Yes!" The servant replied before swiftly moving her legs to find the head butler.
——
[Roughly 7 minutes later, In the main mansion]

The clatter of cutlery could be heard in the dining room of the Sopher estate. Surrounding the long mahogany table were three figures. At the head of the table sat a man in his early forties, his hair a deep green like spruce leaves and his eyes the same colour as the morning sun.

On either side of the older gentleman was a young man, barely an adult, who anyone could tell was his son without question. Opposite him was a woman in her late thirties, her shoulder-length hair coloured similar to that of freshly grown wheat.

"Alvis dear, how was orientation day? Did you enjoy seeing the Sopher research facility we funded?" The woman joked as she cut into her food.

"Of course, Mother. I saw the alchemical equipment and couldn't help but ask the head of the department about it." Alvis replied, his voice calm yet with a tinge of joy, as he answered the question.

"You better study hard." Then man, who must be the father, ordered. His cold expression was worn like a mask, yet he truly felt happy that his son enjoyed his time.

"Oh dear, how is the observation of the rift going along?" The mother asked, turning to her husband.

"Yes, that strange phenomenon. We've noticed that it has an odd magic signature. As we suspected, it's a-"

"Your Grace! I have come to alert you to a matter." A man who looked to be in his sixties walked into the dining hall, his face showing clear fatigue but also discomfort, like he was doing something wrong.

Taken aback by this sudden outburst, the head of the table raised his voice in annoyance.
"What is so important that you had to interrupt the time with my family?"

"It's... uh, the girl."

"You mean you rushed here because of her? Whatever request she is making, can she not go through the proper channels?" Duke Sopher complained as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Your Grace, that's not it. It's just that... there seems to be a break in or an attack at the western annex." The old butler explained.

"What!" The three sitting down cried in unison.

"Elaborate!" The Duke commanded.

"When the two maids tasked with delivering food to the girl made it to her chamber, they saw that her room had all its glass broken." The Butler continued. The family just stared at him to keep going.
"The lady is just sitting there. We can't get to her safely on account of the glass everywhere, but she's alive as we can hear her breathing."

Duke Sopher contemplated the information before finally getting out of his seat.
"Let's go see what this is all about," he uttered. To the Duke and the rest of the family, this seemed to be an insult to them if they had truly been attacked.