Settle in

It's August 28th, approaching 2 in the morning, and Josie feels a sense of detachment, as if a part of her died a year ago at camp. And since then, she's been lost in daydreams, imagining alternate realities and pondering what could have been, especially with how unreal everything felt when the bottle landed on her. The atmosphere is charged with uncertainty as Josie's gaze falls upon Isabel. Unable to decipher the emotions flickering across Isabel's face, Josie's nerves are further heightened by the surrounding "ooohs and ahhhs" of the onlookers. Is it the enigmatic expression on Isabel's face or the anticipation of the crowd that sends shivers down Josie's spine? Caught between longing and apprehension. Josie is jolted out of her thoughts as PJ and a stranger she doesn't recognize slap her on the back, breaking the spell of introspection. Everyone around her seems to buzz with excitement, their energy palpable in the air. But amidst the fervor, Josie notices a stark contrast: Isabel, typically the center of attention, appears subdued.

With a curt smile, Isabel rises from her seat, and Josie instinctively follows suit, mirroring her movements. The sudden rush of adrenaline leaves Josie feeling lightheaded, a mixture of nerves and anticipation swirling within her. It's as if everything is conspiring against her tonight, each moment a test of her resolve and composure. Yet, despite the obstacles in her path,

She follows behind Isabel, her fingers fidgeting nervously with her belt as they make their way through the crowd. The truth is, Josie had always been content with admiring Isabel from afar, never daring to entertain the possibility of their paths crossing. She had resigned herself to the idea that Isabel would never know of her existence, and that was perfectly fine by her.

But as the lights flicker from red to purple, and the bass from the speakers pulses through the floor, something shifts within Josie. The anticipation in the air is palpable, crackling with electric energy that sends a thrill down her spine. And then, in a moment that feels both surreal and inevitable, Isabel is already at the closet door, holding it open for Josie with a silent invitation.

With hesitant steps, Josie follows, her heart pounding in her chest as she crosses the threshold into the unknown. In that fleeting moment, surrounded by the pulsating beat of the music and the intoxicating scent of anticipation.

The anticipation lingers in the closet as Josie and Isabel find themselves alone in the small space, the silence between them heavy with unspoken words and untold truths. For a moment, they simply stand there, each lost in their own thoughts, until Isabel breaks the silence with a soft apology.

"I'm sorry you had to come in here with me," Isabel murmurs, her voice barely above a whisper.

"No, I'm sorry. Like, more sorry than you. I'm sure there's someone else yo-" Josie says immediately in reply.

But Isabel cuts her off gently, her words washing over Josie like a balm. "I don't mind. I'm perfectly fine with you."

Surprised by Isabel's sincerity, Josie stares down at her, a rush of emotions flooding her senses. Without hesitation, she slides down the wall and joins Isabel on the floor.

Once on the floor, Josie extends her hand towards Isabel and introduces herself, "I'm Josie." However, Isabel stares at her hand, causing Josie to feel a twinge of unease, ready to retract her hand before Isabel breaks into laughter.

"I know your name. I mean, we've only been in the same class since, what, third grade?" Isabel remarks, her tone light and teasing.

Feeling sheepish, Josie withdraws her hand and awkwardly rubs the back of her neck. "Right," she agrees, her smile slightly embarrassed.

Isabel raises an eyebrow at Josie's response. "Unless... you introduced yourself to me because you don't remember me and thought that was the best way to get my name?" she suggests with a playful grin.