Chapter Six

Eager to investigate further, Felicity tipped out a saddlebag to examine the contents. She cried out as her hand grazed against something that, when she pulled it out to examine it, was a small but powerful handheld cross bow and a set of silver darts with exploding tips. It occurred to her for the first time that if she was not going to be using her vampire powers, she was going to need more to defend herself than her dagger. She hesitated, considering what was before her, her hand hovering over first the bow and then the crossbow. She was adept with both, but the crossbow would be easier to carry; the arm would fit in a saddle bag leaving the bow sticking out and easy to quickly grasp. And the whip, she would take the whip too. Not to use on the horse of course but it could make a fine weapon and it curled up into a tidy package.

That decided she turned to the other saddlebag.

"What have we here?" As she tipped it out gold coins, jewelry, and loose gems spun and glittered around her. She was just getting up to consult Spirit about the treasure trove when she felt, rather than heard the three shapes overhead.

Peeking through the slight gap in the tent flap, she saw Gerhardt and two friends, Fritz, and Joachim. They landed beside the body of the man. Drat, she knew she should have buried it first.

"The little wretch has been here alright," Gerhardt crouched and examined the body, then stood up, his hands on his hips. "I'd recognize those size 8 fang marks anywhere. So much for her stupid little pledge. And now she's ruined my evening," Gerhardt's eyes glowed red and his lips drew back in a snarl.

Felicity knew all too well what Gerhardt and his friends were probably planning for that evening. They delighted in tormenting the female Herd members, bringing them to the brink of death while keeping them alive with a spark of life-force. None of them looked pleased about having their sport interrupted to search for a runaway.

"Who is he?" Joachim asked. He and Fritz stood well back of Gerhardt. People followed Gerhardt only because it was much safer than being in front of him.

Gerhardt prodded the body with his boot. "No one. Just meat. Search the area, she's still here," Gerhardt ordered and the three started to spread out.

Felicity tried to still her thoughts so Gerhardt couldn't sense her mind, but terror sent them scrambling. Turning to mist wouldn't help. Gerhardt would still be able to trace her and force her back into her physical form.

The tent flap pushed open, and her breath caught in her throat until she recognized the reassuring bulk of Spirit. She lay down, covering the saddlebags.

"Get on my back," she ordered. "And lie flat."

Felicity scrambled on and obeyed, wrapping her arms tightly around the unicorn's neck. "How is this going to help," she breathed into Spirit's ear. The air shivered, and blue light flowed over them. Now everything looked splintered, as if by the turn of a kaleidoscope. "They'll be in here any second," she whispered anxiously.

Is if on cue, the tent flap was roughly pulled open, and Gerhardt stormed inside. He looked straight at Felicity without seeing her, cursed, kicked the bedroll, and left calling out to his friends, "She's not here. Just wait until I get my claws on her."

He can't see us, but how long will our invisibility last? Leave, leave, she willed her brother.

"We'll start again tomorrow night. It's getting lighter out now." Gerhardt swiped a hand down the bedroll, claws extended, and it fell into ribbons. "Just you wait, little sister. I know you're here somewhere and I will find you," he hissed as he exited the tent.

Quaking with fear, Felicity held on to Spirit, scarcely daring to breathe until her brother and his friends launched themselves skyward again, homeward bound.