𝟬𝟬𝟮 - 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗽𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗱𝗮𝘆

⋆。˚☽˚。⋆

EYANA'S HEAD WAS REASTING on the car's tiny glass window as she stared out at the Capitol's streets. The beige dress embraced her curves, and though it was light and loose, she was so apprehensive that she felt like she would suffocate at any minute.

Today was one of those days when she knew she wouldn't be able to control a situation, which made her nervous. Eyana wanted the prize not because she needed it; her family had enough money, but because she desired some attention from her father, and getting into a good university could be the catalyst for that, for her to get the attention she craved, and knowing she had no say over who would receive it made her unhappy.

The girl knew that her father was busy, but she couldn't help but feel that he was harboring some resentment toward her. Maybe it was because of the physical similarities between her and Arpina, or maybe it was because of their blatantly different personalities. Regardless, it made her uncomfortable, and even more so because, though it was hard to admit, Eyana was a little jealous of the little attention that Haakon received.

She felt awful about that.

The fact that Damian was staring at the back of her head like an eagle and observing everything she did made her even more nervous. She was even afraid to look at her younger brother, who was constantly drumming on her bare arm and humming slow, meaningless songs. Eyana was also confused because this was her father first time attending a reaping and the first time he had attended a school function in years.

That's not what she meant when she talked about receiving attention.

"The dress looks nice." The man said quietly, and Eyana's back tensed at the sudden 'compliment'. This was also the first time they had spoken since last week. "The color is appropriate." He said, taking another look at the dress, and Eyana had to make an effort to gain enough courage to turn her head towards the man.

She was well aware that the color was only fitting because it was one that Arpina despised—lifeless, personalityless, and essenceless—the polar antithesis of the garments that the eccentric woman wore and valued.

Her father might have been repulsed by their similarities, but if it was that, Haakon was out of the question because their mother cherished everything about his nature.

Exaggerated, scandalous, and dramatic, Eyana could swear he reminded her of someone.

"Thank you, father." She reacted slowly, turning to the man who had just dismissed her with his hand, as if she were an animal or servant, and she had to bite her lip to keep the emotions from spilling down her face.

"I preferred the blue dress!" Eyana turned to face her brother with a questioning eyebrow and a smile, putting aside her bad feelings at hearing Haakon's protesting voice. "Really? Do you think I look ugly?" Her question was met with amusement, but he looked up sharply, his face displaying offense.