Chapter One

Nix looked out from across the bar seeing patrons of the tavern talking to one another and couldn't help the familiar ping of jealousy in her chest

 Nix looked out from across the bar seeing patrons of the tavern talking to one another and couldn't help the familiar ping of jealousy in her chest. She wanted to be like that talking and laughing with members of her own species. Being the only siren on an island full of humans was very isolating. She longed for sisters she had never met, someone to fly or sing with. As it stood right now Nix didn't have a friend in the world and the mistrust from her human counterparts was high. Part of her knew she would be better suited in somewhere like the fishmen district but how would a bird live amongst fish? 

The chatter of asshole marines demanding more whiskey brought her out of her self-pitying thoughts. " Sorry I'll get that right now" She squeaked out as she filled the angry man's glasses. The marines walked off mumbling about her being a "bird brain" and hoping she was replaced with a human soon. Nix felt her cheeks heat at their harsh words. She wanted to be angry but all she could manage to muster up was sadness.

The siren spent the rest of her shift daydreaming about her evening flight and singing quietly to herself. Getting off hours later and excitedly taking off her uniform slipping into a pair of shorts and a backless shirt, happy to finally be able to stretch her wings. She let her wings expand hearing her joints quietly crack from being in such an awkward position all day. She idly wondered if she would have long-term health problems from how she contorted them to try to look human. She quickly shifted her thoughts to something more pleasant, her upcoming flight. She quietly crept up the stairs of the tavern from her room. Which was truthful just a closet in the basement and out the back door. Running down the back alley and taking flight. She immediately felt relief as the air passed through her feathers and she burst into the air .Looking down she saw the island that she had called home. Her life there didn't seem so bad when she looked down at it from afar, no one could side-eye her or make rude comments from up here. Nix felt safe for the first time all day, no human could reach her here. The sky was more her home than Shellstown would ever be. 

Nix flew around for a bit longer making a circle and landed behind the tavern, sneaking back in and down the stairs to her room. She tamed her hair that had tangled during her flight and wrapped it up for bed.

Throwing herself face-first onto her cot she let out a sigh and went to bed hoping tomorrow would be better or at least more eventful.