Chapter 4

Alysanne and Joffrey sat together at supper that night and spent the morning talking with each other in the library. The prince seemed to have moved past Meleys' slight attack and was more relaxed than he had been when they parted. Alysanne dearly hoped that Joffrey kept this attitude and not the one that he had displayed previously.

The two had to part though, apparently the queen had something to discuss with the prince and Joffrey left to find her. So Aly had left the library too, deciding to spend time with her wolf pup. Meleys had come to her the moment she had entered Aly's thoughts, as she always did. The white wolf wove around Aly's legs, butting her white head into her legs to request cuddles. A shriek split the silence, making Alysanne jump, reaching for her waist and dagger that wasn't present there today.

Her body relaxed when she spotted who had made the sound, the Princess Myrcella. The young girl was standing a few feet away, her hands in front of her mouth and and guards hands on their swords. Alysanne curtsied, "princess."

Myrcella's wide eyes stayed on her white wolf, but the princess seemed to notice that there was another person standing before her and she curtsied back. "My lady."

"There is nothing to fear Princess, Meleys is gentle," Aly reassured the still scared princess.

Myrcella slowly stepped closer, "she won't hurt me?"

"Oh no, my dear. Meleys is quite well-trained." Aly clicked her fingers and Meleys sat without delay. Her bright red eyes were trained on the slowly approaching princess. "Here," Aly knelt, holding out her hand for Myrcella to put hers into. The princess hesitated slightly before placing her shaky hand into Aly's. Alysanne held the princess' small pale hand to Meleys' nose. The wolf's pink little nose twitched a few times, before her tongue flicked out and she licked Myrcella's hand.

Myrcella let out a little giggle and slipped her hand from Alysanne's to hold it closer to Meleys' head. The wolf let out a soft bark and pressed her forehead into the princess' hand. "Go on," Aly prompted. "She loves cuddles." Myrcella smiled as she ran her hand through the soft fur on the white wolf's head, letting out another giggle as Meleys' breath touched her stomach when she pressed closer.

Alysanne noticed that the princess' guards had relaxed when they saw that she was enjoying petting the wolf. "Is she really a direwolf?" Myrcella asked in a soft high voice.

"Yes," Alysanne nodded.

"How did you get her? Can I have one?" Myrcella looked up at her with wide innocent eyes.

Aly laughed. "We found the pups on the side of a trail, their mother had died and they had nowhere to go. I'm afraid there were only seven pups, but if I find any more I'll be sure to give one to you," Alysanne promised.

The light in Myrcella's eyes faded during the first part of her explanation but lit up again at the end. "Make sure you do!" She bit her lip and looked down before continuing, "after all, you are to be my sister one day."

"That I am," Aly agreed with a nod. "And I am honoured to be sister to such a beautiful little princess." Myrcella giggled again, smiling brightly at her.

"Princess!" A woman's voice called. A few moments later a woman dressed in red rounded the corner of the building beside us. "There you are, Princess. You have lessons, you shouldn't be out here walking around," she admonished.

"Sorry Lady Jocelyn, I was coming I promise," Myrcella said sheepishly.

"I must take some blame for the Princess' delay," Alysanne smiled. "She was distracted by my wolf."

Lady Jocelyn seemed to notice Alysanne and Meleys for the first time, her eyes widened when they landed on the wolf. "Oh- I see. Thank you for the explanation Lady..." She trailed off, not knowing the name of the dark-haired lady before her.