Chapter Twenty-Two: Safe Travels

It was a large crowd that stood outside the entrance to the tunnel leading to Dr. Light's old lab. Robots of all shapes and sizes milled around, making small talk or lightly sparring to kill time.

"How are we going to get them all back to MHHQ?" Shortwave wondered aloud as she and X studied the mass of artificial life forms.

X didn't have an easy answer to her question; he couldn't simply teleport himself along with the other Reploids, not to mention the dozens of Robot Masters. "I don't know," he finally admitted. "The only ones other than me who can self-teleport are Rock, Blues, and Bass. Oh, and Iris."

"And you could give them the coordinates to the Launchpad, but that's still a lot of people to move," she noted as they watched Aqua Man try to irrigate the barren ground. "Can Rock and his friends teleport others?"

He shook his head. "Rock can teleport one other, but he told me that he's never tried it with more. Rush and Treble can teleport, too, but Rock couldn't tell me if Rush could take anyone else, and Bass just gave me a dirty look when I asked. Well, tried to ask."

"That sounds like him," the redheaded Reploid giggled. "Hey, if Rock can teleport one other, shouldn't you be able to teleport more? You, know, since you're more advanced than he is?"

"I...don't know," X admitted with an awkward shrug, and she smiled at the tint to his cheeks. "I...don't really understand how it works; all I know is that I can take myself and at least one other, but I don't know what my limit is."

"Hmmm..." She pushed her lips to the side in thought, the movement drawing X's attention. "Well, could you ask Doctor Light about it?"

He looked back to the entrance to the tunnel. "I asked him, but he just smiled; I think he wants me to figure it out on my own."

Shortwave thoughtfully nibbled on her lower lip before an idea came to mind. "Maybe... Maybe you should go back first and talk with Signas; he could probably help." She giggled again. "Knowing him, he's waiting for you to show up to tell him; he probably knows already, right?"

X couldn't help but chuckle at her words. "Yeah, probably." His smile faded, and he crossed his arms as he studied the crowd. "That's a good idea, but I'm worried about leaving you here; I'm worried that some of them would give you trouble, not listen to you or something."

"Bass?" she prompted with a knowing grin.

A nod.

"Don't worry about him, mate," a voice interjected, and Iris joined them a moment later with her hand resting on the pommel of the sword at her hip. "I can handle the lads if any of 'em try to give her any lip."

"Are you sure, ma'am?" Shortwave asked anxiously. "I wouldn't want to put you out or anything."

Iris snorted, and X's brow jumped in surprise at the unexpected sound – considering the source, at least. "I thought I asked you not to call me that; you're the senior here, after all."

"S-Sorry..."

Iris sighed with a smile as she rested a hand on the navigator's shoulder. "You're a timid Sheila, aren't you?"

"I'm sorry, ma-...I mean, Iris," Shortwave stammered, and X noticed that she wouldn't – or couldn't – meet the other woman's gaze. "I'm happy that you're willing to help, but I really think that you should be in charge."

"Me?" Iris seemed surprised. "Why?"

"Well, because..." the navigator started while repeatedly knotting her fingers. "...Y-You're so...well, you're...." She finally let her hands drop along with her gaze. "You're more powerful than I am," she murmured. "And more confident."