Prologue

Location- Los Angeles, California

(3 days later)
Elaina
Sometimes you get this feeling. Like you're trying to breathe underwater. Like you're fighting a monster no one else can see. Sometimes just for a second we consider giving in. Letting go. We wonder why we are given a life if all we ever do is fight. When our hands are always clasped so tight, the bruises on our hearts become so evident as time goes on. You realize that the pain you feel is your fault. You dwell on the past and never focus on the future. Yet you wonder why we go through it all. Sometimes it feels like you're stuck in a rip current, like the ocean no matter how relentless and beautiful, is trying to destroy you. And you want to let it.we wonder how to grieve the loss of someone we love. We think about all the possibilities. Everything we potentially could have done.
I think this now. I think this as I relentlessly drown. My cries are so loud but no one can hear me.
Ashton's body is weak. He looks weak. He looks sick. Almost dead. All that's left is to wait. But then I wonder, what if he could see the tears streaming down my face? What would he say?
Don't give up. You've gotta keep going. It isn't time to let me go.
Don't give up.
That's what he would say. He would hug me; tight and then he would tell me.
Don't you dare give up on me!
I can almost hear him right now.
I can hear his footsteps as he walks up to me. I can hear his voice from accross the room.
I can feel someone's arms around me.