monsters

Later that night, JJ and I were sitting on my bed, talking and holding hands. We were laughing, and I felt so happy. Then, Pierre walked in completely shirtless, with a towel wrapped around his waist and another thrown over his shoulder. His abs were dripping with water.

"Your grandmother said I could take a shower," he stated, knowingly flaunting his physique.

"You couldn't have had a shower at your place? You're only across the road," JJ remarked.

"Oh well, that would be silly. There's a shower here," Pierre replied.

"Okay, well, you can't get changed in here," JJ asserted. She tapped my shoulder, and I snapped out of my trance.

He left the room after doing a pull-up on the door frame.

"Do you like him?" JJ asked.

"What? No, I like you," I assured her.

"I think he likes you," she noted.

"Yeah, me too."

"Why did you kick me?"

"Huh? I didn't kick you."

"Yes, you did at the table."

"Oh, I just don't want her to know yet. I admitted I liked you less than two hours ago," I chuckled.

"You know she's going to find out, right? Our grandparents talk."

"I know, but when it happens, it happens," I shrugged.

She leaned in for a kiss, but at that moment, Pierre walked in. Luckily, I turned around, and he didn't see. He was wearing a white tank top and a pair of my shorts.

"Thanks for the shorts, by the way," he said, but they looked really small on him, as if he might as well be wearing his underwear.

"You're down there," JJ pointed at the pile of blankets and pillows on the floor.

"Oh, come on, why don't you sleep on the floor?" Pierre suggested.

"Because I'm a girl?" JJ retorted.

"So?"

"It makes sense that the two girls share, and the boy sleeps on the floor."

"Whatever, idiot," Pierre laughed.

"I understood that," she yelled. He laughed to himself. JJ hugged me to sleep again, feeling her body against mine made me feel like I was floating through space.

I woke up; it was 2:30. Pierre was standing at the door.

"Oh, désolé, did I wake you?"

"Yeah, it's okay."

"I was just coming back from the bathroom."

"Oh, okay."

"You two are really close, oui?" He pointed to JJ, who was fast asleep and still had her arm on my lap, drooling with her hair in her face.

"Yeah, we're best friends."

"Just best friends?"

"Yeah, what else would we be?" I tried to pretend to laugh, but a croak just came out instead.

"What was that? You sound like one of those rib-its," he burst out laughing.

"Rib-its?"

"Oui."

"You mean frogs."

"Yes, frogs. I forget the name."

"Ribbits," I said, and we both laughed.