I

not edited.

𝙐𝙡𝙖𝙣𝙞 𝘽𝙧𝙤𝙬𝙣

May 30, 1995Atlanta, GA

May 30, 1995
Atlanta, GA

Slight explicit content warning

"I think you should just call it quits and find a new hustle." My friend Cici, her voice dipped in honey as she benevolently recommended me through the other line. Twirling the spiraled cord connected to my bright pink landline in between my fingers I let out a heavy sigh, followed by an eye roll.

"This isn't just something that I can give up ya know?" I responded rolling over on my back, the soft pillows embracing the impact of my head. "Sure, business is a lil' slow at Haven nowadays, but it's been providin' for Marsai, Kameron, and I for a few years now." I reminded Cici. As I finished my sentence I heard the creak of a floor board outside my door.

"Hold on girl, gimmie a second." I cover the microphone with one hand and sit up on my bed.

"Kameron?" I call out from my bed confused, which was followed by another creak from the floor. I get up off my bed and steadily walk to my door. Kameron then pushed the door open with a look of confusion plastered on his face.

"How did you know-"

"Why are you being nosey?" I cut him off, getting straight to the point. I looked him up and down, he had on navy blue basketball shorts with no shirt on and his bonnet was halfway off, it looked like it was trying to run away from him.

I shift my weight to my left leg, placing my hand on my hip impatiently waiting for his response. "Where are you getting ready to go?" He questioned me, ignoring my own question in itself.

"I'm not going anywhere." I lied keeping a straight face. The younger boy looked me over, he could tell I was lying. "Look, why don't you just go back to sleep okay?" I negotiated.

"You have school tomorrow morning, you know yo ass gotta get up early as hell." Instead of protesting, Kameron just walked away with the nod of his head. I watched his figure disappear into the darkened hallway.

I walked back to my bed picked up the phone again. "Lani?" Cici giggled through the phone. I'm guessing she heard our conversation.

"Yeah girl it was just Kameron being nosey per usual, he acts like he's my older brother." I criticized, putting emphasis on 'my'.

"But like I was saying before, working there provides for my family. And plus I like seeing how the men there be ready to drop them drawls for me before I can even grab the pole." I chuckled getting up and getting my bag together for tonight.

"Are you working tonight?" I inquire, holding the phone between my shoulder and ear.

"Yeah I'm gonna be there for a lil', you know how Jay feels about me doing this shit." She sassed through the phone about her boyfriend as I could almost feel her eyes rolling from the other line.