Chapter Four

The sun isn't up by the time I stir awake, and no matter how hard I try to lull myself back into the warm confines of peaceful slumber, it's impossible.

Hence, I make my way to the window, staring blankly into the vast lands. At this hour, not even the servants are awake and it suddenly feels ungodly to be up.

Nathaniel...

The soft wind carries the name through my window and into my brain, bringing back memories of the past night.

"A beautiful name for a beautiful lady." He had said, and his eyes sparkled with honesty.

I've never been considered beautiful in this town, but then again, he had said he was from London. Maybe their standards of beauty differ from here, or maybe it's his standard that differs.

I sit by my window seal trying hard not to forget his beautiful face that glistened against the moonlight until the sun rises fully in the sky.

Before I leave to freshen up, I spot a carriage approach the manor but before I can give it too much thought, my maids come in to draw me a bath, ultimately forcing me away from the window.

"Would you like me to style your hair?" Mary, the youngest of my two maids asks as soon I step into the dress they laid out for me.

"Oh no, I should be fine by my own, thank you."

"Your mother asks that you join them for breakfast at the garden today, my lady." She says again.

"Breakfast at the garden?" I turn to her confused.

We never have breakfast at the garden. In fact, it is forbidden to have breakfast at the garden. It's usually reserved for tea and mindless chatter. What could possibly be the matter?

"Yes my lady." Eva, the other of my maid says, nodding her head furiously. "There are some men  here to speak to your father and he invited them to breakfast in the dining hall-"

Mary nudges her, stopping her words and she eyes her. They have a minor banter with their eyes before turning to me again with a patronising smile.

"Some men you say?" I ask, thinking back to the carriage I saw earlier.

"Well...y-yes, some men. But it's not relevant my lady. You shouldn't keep everyone waiting at breakfast."

Without saying anything further, I hurry out of my room and down the flight of stairs. The door to the dining hall is closed but I can hear the subtle voices of the men in there.

I'm tempted to walk in on them, but I know my father won't take it likely so I walk off towards the direction of the garden.

Maybe someone is here to ask for Nancy's hand.

Lucas groans in relief as soon as he spots me walking in on them, causing both my mother and Nancy's  head to snap to me.

"Finally she's here!" He announces, picking up a loaf of bread and stuffing it in his mouth.

"Lucas!" Mother cautions, but he's too far gone with chewing that he hardly acknowledges her scolding.

"I'm sorry for the delay, mother."

"You didn't delay, we've hardly been here a minute." She replies, pointing to the seat beside her.

"Why are we here? We've never had breakfast here before." Nancy points out, and from the way Lucas rolls his eyes, I can tell this is not the first or fifth time she's asking.

That doesn't stop me from noticing the way mother stiffens in her seat, her face going pale as she tries to blink away whatever bothers her.

"Are you well mother?" I ask, touching her hand lightly. She pulls away from the touch but manages to smile at me.

"Your father has guests, Nancy. I've said this before."

"Work issues?" I ask, causing Lucas to snort.

"If you can call a detective's presence work, that is."

Mother glares at him. If he notices it, he chooses to ignore her.

"Detective? Why detective?"

I look between the three of them but they don't reply. Mother looks more pale than I've ever seen her, squirming in her seat as all our eyes fall on her.

"Mother won't tell us." Nancy finally breaks the silence.

"Because I have no idea." She defends weakly.

"But you were with father when they arrived. And must I also point out that you're horrid at telling lies." Lucas shrugs. "We're not children mother, you can tell us."

She stares at her plate of food for a long while before she looks back at us. "You want to know?"

"Should we not?" I ask.

Her lips thins as she lets out a strained exhale, looking at each one of us with that stern eyes of hers that I'm well accustomed to.

"Lord William was found dead last night when the maids at Lord Wilson's estate were cleaning up after the ball. The detective is here to carry out investigations. Your father and a few others are prime suspects in this, but we know that surely, he had nothing to do with the atrocity."

Dead?

I mean, I should be glad that he's no longer in my hair, but I can't shake off the feeling of unease that comes with the news.

"Dead?" Nancy echos, looking at mother like she has grown two heads.

"He was killed last night dear, at least that's what they say."

Wunderfell has always been a peaceful town. No one really has had any reason to hurt anyone hence a murder would cause a huge catastrophe to the town.

And if father was a suspect, I wouldn't want to think about how the towns people would react to such news.

"Who would do such a thing?" Nancy asks again. Somehow, she's the only one that has managed to find her voice despite the news.

Lucas's brows are scrunched up in a frown as he picks through his food plate, and when he looks up, his face smoothens up and I can tell he's about to say something witty.

"Maybe Viola." He says, causing mother to choke on her tea. "Afterall, she won't have to bother about his proposals again."

"Lucas!" Mother growls, glaring at him with her big brown eyes.

"I'm just saying mother, loosen up." He grins, stuffing his mouth with strawberries.

I don't hear any other conversations that takes place on the table, because my mind just happens to stumble on a wild thought.

What are the odds that once a new guy comes to town, a noble is found dead at the ball I'm very certain he wasn't invited to?

***************************

Jeez!

Took me how many days exactly to get back here?

Not that it matters at the moment because I'm the only one currently reading the story anyways. 🤭🤭

Anyways, I might not be updating as often as I thought, but I know I'll get through this before you even add this book to your library!🥰🥰