Chapter 3

// 3rd Person POV //

As they made it out of the cave Shadow let out a sigh before inspecting the new world in front of him. As he looked around he found that his counterpart wasn't exaggerating, his world truly was engulfed in darkness. Despite the lack of sunlight, he could still see villagers walking around as if nothing were wrong. he watched the children run and the women happily chase them down, the men renovated buildings and cooking, the civilians didn't appear at all panicked, in fact, they looked delighted despite their only light source being the tiny yellow orb in the sky.

As Sonic sulked in the scenery that was lit by candles and torches all perfectly and beautifully placed around the garden to illuminate it in all the right places Tails, Shadow and Lancelot walked at a slightly slower pace allowing there to be a gap between them and Sonic.

Tails cleared his throat to get the Knight's attention who luckily turned to look at him without him having to call out to him.

"Do you mind continuing our conversation where we left off?" Tails smiled, slightly nervous...

"I don't see a problem with that," Lancelot hummed and continued to face forward, "What would you like to know?"

"Oh I have so many questions!—" Tails exclaimed excitedly, "uhm let's see.." he paused, and pulled out a small notepad from his bag before beginning to write in it.

Lancelot could see him writing from the corner of his eyes but decided not to question him. He watched as his King picked and sniffed flowers like it was his first time there, this wasn't at all unusual for him as he'd watched him do this countless times whenever he'd come through for a vist.

// Flashback //

Lancelot quickly helped him to his feet, Sonic's body was shaking and there was a lot of blood dripping down his face and onto the black suit he was wearing.

He remembered his king insisting on not wearing any clothes but Lancelot wasn't having any of it, 'The people won't take you seriously if you look so..'

'Dishoveled?' Sonic asked, he knew what he'd say, he'd heard it many times before.

Luckily Sonic listened, but one look at the old ruler's wardrobe and he had to have an entire wardrobe change. he said that if he'd ever be caught wearing clothes it wouldn't be such hideous attire.

'Honestly Lance I don't really care about what the people think of me. I'm only their temporary ruler until we find the people a new King to take my place.' he finished, smiling from ear to ear.

His body stopped trembling after a few minutes and he was finally able to walk on his own. Despite Lancelot's insist nagging on carrying him back to the castle with they both walked through the streets taking the long scenic route as Sonic would call it.

Once they arrived at the castle Sonic greeted the guards as they walked through the hallways against Lancelot's advice.

// Flashback Over //

"Sir Lancelot?"

He turned to look back at Tails, he hadn't even realized that he'd spaced out until the Fox lightly tapped his shoulder. Lancelot quickly put his helmet back on, nodded and looked down at him as they walked, he hadn't even noticed his counterpart staring daggers at him.

"I wanted to ask a follow-up question
about—" Tails started before being interrupted,

"How far is the castle from here?" Shadow asked the knight coldly watching as Sonic continued to pick flowers.

Lancelot turned his attention to the dark hedgehog beside him, he hated how similar they looked but knew it'd be stupid to comment on it. He looked up, away and toward the distance, they were very close to the castle but the garden that was filled with massive trees, bushes, and flowers made it hard to spot. "Not very far," Lancelot replied calmly.

Shadow nodded and sped up to catch up to Sonic. It didn't take long for Sonic to notice that they were walking side by side, "You enjoying the view Shad's?" He asked cheekily.

"It's.. nice." Shadow replied calmly trying his best not to strangle him.

"The castle's not too far from here," Sonic started as he spotted a tall tower pear out from above the trees, "we're gonna stop by the castle then—"

-

Entering the silver gates of the castle Shadow looked around admiring the scenery in front of him. It's not like he hasn't seen a handful of castles before but this one was just perfect. Turning his gaze from the architecture and greenery he spotted a few guards marching along the castle walls with blank expressions. As he glanced back at Lancelot, he couldn't help but imagine him walking around aimlessly. Sure Shadow enjoyed the little things, the peace n quiet but walking around aimlessly for hours on end was definitely not one of them.

He kept his mouth shut and kept walking alongside Sonic, listening as he gave a brief introduction of Camelot and the Castle. However, unlike Shadow, Tails was quick to point out how amazing the architecture and gardens looked.

Finding it slightly ludicrous that Sonic of all people was able to remember so much about a world he was only in for a few weeks and only came to once in a few months to check on its wellbeing still managed to capture Sonic's attention. Shadow listened intently as he rambled on about a fountain's importance.

After what felt like hours of listening to Sonic yapp about the culture and architecture they finally arrived at another large door to wich Lancelot quickly reached out for the silver handle and pulled toward him.

Sonic walked in and everyone else followed close behind.

"Sir Gawain!"

"Sir Percival!"

-

Hey! Sorry this chapter's a bit short, I have so many ideas and I'm so excited to share them! As for some of my other Stories, I'm currently working on them, it's been a while since I've last written or read them so I kinda have to catch up before writing them! ^^'

For those who don't quite understand the timeline of this book, the events take place AFTER Sonic and The Black Knights! (If that wasn't obvious already-) I may or may not include more canon Sonic characters but as of now the only ones who are confirmed to make an appearance in this book are Sir Galahad, Sir Percival, and Sir Gawain! (Silver, Blaze & Knuckles' counterparts!) I'm not sure if I will be including Hawk/Sir Lamorak, Silver, or Blaze as of yet but we'll see as the story progresses! :D