The Magic Flower

It's great to be back writing for this story! I got a sudden burst of inspiration and had to update. I've got so many plans for this AU, and I'm really hoping that it won't take another year and a bit to update again XD

TW- Please note that there is a brief mention of sexual assault in the 2nd Cass scene. There's also depictions of domestic violence and alcohol consumption. Take care everyone! 💖

The news that the beloved Princess was sick, traveled fast throughout Corona.

Many prayed for her swift recovery, while others sent flowers and get well cards to the castle.

Rapunzel lay in the infirmary, still unconscious, pale as a ghost and shivering from a fever.

Her mother sat next to her, stroking her hair, while her father inquired with the royal physician.

"What's wrong with her? Is it serious? Will she wake up? Will she live?"

All the questions came tumbling out at once.

"She has an unfortunate case of influenza," the physician explained, taking notes, "she likely caught it from last week's excursion to Ingvarr. There have been some cases reported there, as of late."

The King knew that influenza could be a nasty, painful killer and he couldn't bare to watch his sweet Rapunzel suffer through that.

"What can you do about it?"

"We can try medicine, getting her fever to a manageable level, bloodletting, many different things. We'll do everything we can, Your Majesty."

"You better!" Fredric snapped.

Arianna leaned in closer to her daughter, as the doctor got his tools ready, she hoped she would stay unconscious for the painful parts of her treatment.

Cassandra's hummed as she swept the cottage floor.

She was so nearly finished with her chores. Soon, she'd be able to lie down with one of her three books and relax for an hour, before dinner.

Badger had fallen asleep, curled up on a nearby chair. She'd take him to her room before mother got home.

Gothel came home long after Cassandra had gone to bed, yet again. She stumbled through the front door, drunkenly, a man trailing behind her, equally as intoxicated.

They giggled, knocking into the furniture and tripping on the rug.

"Sit down, my dear Thomas!" Gothel slurred, slumping down at the kitchen table.

Thomas obliged and the two shared a passionate kiss.

Cassandra woke to the sound of loud chatter and immediately put the pieces together. Mother had yet another man in the house.

She felt herself tense up, her stomach doing somersaults.

Gothel only started to bring men home since Cassandra turned eighteen. She was mature enough to stay asleep and leave them alone.

The type of men Gothel brought home, however, were drunken fools. Drunken, dangerous fools.

Some had been crime bosses, some had been thieves, and some had even been murderers.

But the worst part was that some had made sexual comments to Cassandra, when Gothel wasn't in earshot. One had even touched her inappropriately. Gothel had noticed that.

She'd slapped the man across the face and forced him out of the house.

Then, she'd taken a crying Cassandra into her arms and held her close, staying close by, until she fell asleep.