17.Red and Blue

17

"What can I do for you, miss?" An officer with thick Russian accent strided towards me from his spot.

"Nothing, sir. Just waiting for someone" i replied, keeping it small and steady. He nodded his head and walked away to his post on the side of the huge double doors. The ancient building had vines creeping on its sides and cracks here and there.

They forgot to renovate, I guess. I wonder when will this whole thing collapse.

I kept my thoughts to myself and waited for Markus to arrive. My nerves were jittery and I couldn't help bouncing on the balls of my feet anxiously as my eyes darted towards every direction possible.

After an eternity....

I almost thought that he forgot me, leaving me stranded in the middle of somewhere unknown. That was before I caught sight of his dark brown hair emerging from the parking lot. The moonlight drew an art on him that I couldn't feel sufficed. He was beautiful in way I could not describe. But I felt a sense of guilt washing over me as I stood there admiring something- someone I shouldn't.

It kinda reminds me of Stephan. I shouldn't be thinking about this now but... I can't seem to let the thoughts out of my mind. It feels like he is gonna be struck with me forever.

I need to, more like, I want to tell him the things I couldn't when he was alive. When he was breathing. When I was beside him. With him. On his side. I couldn't ignore the fact that my heart clenches at the mere thought of the untold secrets I kept locked away in my heart.

A lot of them.

Maybe I'll write it all down and post it as a mail to heaven or hell, wherever he is. That's a stupid idea, by the way.

Maybe visit his grave when I go back to Italy? Will I even go back to Italy?

Crickets accompanied us through our walk, my footsteps falling in sync with him. He led me towards a destination unbeknownst. The investigation room, I assume.

Shoot out to the officers working this late at night.

My eyes were drooping shut from tiredness. By the time he stopped in front of a closed door I forgot the darkness of the hallways we crossed, the number of doors he opened, and the massive body of the officers I brushed past.

"Steve, hand me the recorder. It's in the second row of the shelf." Markus commanded a short man standing in front of the metal door with a gun in his waistband. I started in awe as he opened the door with a loud creak. Giving way to the most tremendous sight I had seen in every investigation movies.

The typical table with two chairs at its sides, placed across from each other. Can't forget the light bulb hanging from the ceiling flickering on and off, emitting a dim yellow light. There were numerous shelves in the right corner of the room with various components. To the left side was a mirror that covered most of the wall.

The man called Steve gave Markus a small rectangular device which I assumed was the recorder.

"Take a seat, ma'am" he gestured to the table in front of us. Steve left the room without a word. Leaving us both alone along with the heavy silence simmering between us. I did as he told. Trying to make myself comfortable despite the highly uncomfortable aura spreading in the room. The sickening stench of dried blood and open wounds.

I wonder what takes place in this room.

"I want you to define each and every details without even missing a single point about the incident." His voice was strict. Instilling a sense of authority he had over me, which was so untrue. He pressed a button in the recorder, waiting for me to speak up.

I started recounting the scene. Blurting out everything I knew. Except the specific detail about Mellifera, the mafia. I told him Stephan was my boss, he used to drop me at work blah, blah, blah. Most of the truths hidden beneath the lies.

"I'll arrange your stay for tonight at a hotel room. Is there anything you need specifically that I can get you, ma'am?" He asked with a sugar sweet smile. I shook my head. "No thank you. Your dedication is the biggest help I could ask for."

"Then...let me drop you to your place for tonight."

With that we began to walk out. Me trailing behind his back like a lost puppy. Not caring to take in the intricate patterns of my surroundings.

He walked to the parking lot, telling me to wait infront of the department. I partially zoned off in the mesmerizing view of neon lights and sidewalks. A very not frequent sight when I was in Italy.

Italy, Italy, Italy.

The only thing in my mind along with a special someone.

He pulled up with the car and without further ado I got in the passenger seat buckling my seat belt. He turned to look at me with a glimmer in his eyes. And I felt I saw the same glimmer shone in his eyes too when he said he'll come get me.

The same promise. Something I didn't know what for.