Chapter 18 - Routine

Routine. Something I'd forgotten existed until this week. And suddenly, I've found myself in one, and a great one at that.

Rex drives me into school every day where I meet my friends by the lockers before going about our day together. There are even a couple of new people that we've started hanging out with, and I'm surprised by how easily they've slipped into our tight friendship group.

They're both surgical students too and they met George and Lexi first in their surgical skills lab. April is a very energetic, very hardworking redhead who somehow manages to keep up with Lexi's sarcasm and George's jokes, all whilst acing every test and attending church regularly on the side. Alex is quite the opposite and I often find myself wondering how he ever got a place on the surgical programme. He seems to be more interested in girls than anything else, but he's funny and charming in his own way. George is definitely glad of some male company. He's even tried joining in with Alex's sleazy comments, despite knowing himself that that's not really him at all.

After our last class of the day, I have around 30 minutes to an hour before Rex finishes work, so instead of catching the bus, I make my way to room 201. I've been doing this since Tuesday, and now that it's Thursday, I'm definitely settled into this new regime of mine.

As I always do, I try to listen through the door before I open it just to double check that the coast is clear. I crack open the door expecting to see Robert's face peeking over his computer, but the room is empty. I step inside, the door falling closed behind me as I peer up the steps. Nope. No sign of him.

Weird. Sighing to myself, I turn to open the door again and -thud. He's pushing it open from the other side at the same time, crashing into me as he enters the room.

'Oof- shit, sorry. You okay?' he says, grabbing my shoulders to steady me. I'm fine, but I can't manage to get those words out. That's the other thing. He's been... distant since Monday night's chat. No touching, no kissing... and this is the most contact we've had since then. I hold my breath involuntarily, my palms becoming clammy with the contact.

'Remy?' he snickers, his mouth arching into a smirk. 'You alright?' he asks again, loosening his grip on my shoulders. I nod, still unable to find my voice. He lets go of me, clearing his throat. 'Good,' he smiles, letting his hands drop from me completely and swaggering over to his desk. I roll my eyes in frustration, wondering still why he's holding back.

'So, what joys will you be studying today whilst I pour over your class' assignments?' he asks, dropping into his chair behind the desk. I walk over to him, sitting in the chair on the other side of the desk.

'I have a paper to write for History of Medicine,' I say, pulling a face. He chuckles.

'Sounds riveting,' he jokes, wriggling his eyebrows.

'It is,' I say sarcastically, 'especially when it's due in two days.' He chuckles again, picking up a pen and twirling it between his teeth.

'Better get going, huh?'

And this is how I spend my time - stealing the odd glance in his direction as he scribbles away. I admire how his tongue sticks out a little when he's concentrating, the way he runs his hand through his hair and makes it stand on end in dismay when he reads something stupid.

It's very distracting. I barely get anything done.

'Ya know, you've only written three sentences,' he points out after at least half an hour has passed.

'Yeah... I guess I'm not really in the mood for it today. My mind keeps... wandering,' I add, quirking an eyebrow.

'Oh, does it?' he grins. 'Well, do you want to share with the class?' He extends both arms out, gesturing to the empty room as he leans back in his chair.