Chapter 1

I stare at my ceiling. My brain is blank. My eyes are weary. I have bruises running down my arm, which had a ripped sleeve.

I force myself to not say I'm like them. I'm not, right? No, I'm no.. no hypnotized.. clueless person with no sense of reality.

I don't look to those ways. I don't follow them. I don't go out to Mulberry Street on Sundays and I don't lay in bed all day with nothing in my brain except for the task I should be doing, yet not doing at all. In fact, not even plan on doing. I'm not like them. I face reality. I challenge it, I explore it, I admire it.

My name is Ezra. I am a Citizen of Dema, run by the nine Bishops: Andre, Keons, Lisdon, Listo, Nills, Reisdro, Sacarver, Vetoma, and finally, Nico. Nico is the leader of the Bishops. Every citizen of Dema is assigned a Bishop. I am personally assigned to Keons. Which, I hate. He's all... 'wa wa wa.. my name is Keons.. i hate my life.. get away from me..' Hah. I have a good impression of him.

I'm not scared of the Bishops. Honestly they're just a bunch of control freaks that failed in life. Hah! I must be the only one that would ever speak about them that way. And I'm proud to say so! 

Oh, yeah, did I mention they're preachers of Vialism? A religion where, in my eyes, teaches that self destruction is the way to paradise. Which, it is not! Who would think that? Besides those lazy freaks. 

I can't blame the citizens, though. It's like they're under a trance. I don't like it. But, I've learned to live with it. I mean, there's not really a choice. It's not like I can just leave. Though, I've thought about it. But how? How would it even be possible? Is there even an exit? Plus, I'm sure Keons would find me. I once got to curious and wandered too far to the outskirts of the city, where I saw the most mysterious thing.. a huge, huge wall. I had seen this from a distance before but never took much notice. When I told my friends, they squinted and gaped, saying something along the lines of: 'I've never noticed that before!' or 'Since when was that there?' Which was surprising to me. It was just as visible as the Towers of Silence.

Oh yeah, each Bishop lives in a tower. All nine towers are in the center of the city. They're pretty tall, so even from where I am, away from the middle of the city, I can see the faint outlines and shapes of the towers.

At the thought, I look out my window that's next to my bed, focusing my eyes on three shapes I could make out in the distance, and maybe a little bit of a fourth one. You'd think it looks pretty, but it doesn't. It looks.. sad. Gloomy. What I'm used to, and yet, I don't like it.

I lift myself off my bed. My room was.. plain. No pictures on the wall or fake plants or candles or lava lamps. Just a small bed with grey sheets and a brown dresser with old drawings and clothes within it and on it. The walls were white. To my left was the door to the hallway, leading to the kitchen, where I assumed my mother was.

My mother was a citizen that obeyed Sacarver, the only female Bishop. Sometimes I feel like she.. doesn't trust me. With anything. She just acts hesitant and cautious around me. As well as gloomy and unmotivated. What a surprise?

I stretch my arms out in the air in a big stretch, bending my back a little bit before relaxing my limbs and walking to the door. I twisted the knob, swinging it open silently and peering around the hallway corner. Before me was the kitchen, where my mother stands leaned against the counter, staring out the window above the sink gloomily.

I slowly walk from the corner and over closer to her. "Uh, hey mom," I said, my hands at my sides uncomfortably.

She turns her head and looks at me, her eyes blank. She glances down at my arm. "What happened? Did you get in a fight? Are you starting street fights?" She says sourly, frowning accusingly.