Chapter 1

The early morning sun flooded the windows of the Gryffindor Common room as Holly made her way down the girls' staircase. Spotting Ron in their usual corner, reading a book, she grinned and made her way over.

"Happy birthday, Ron," Holly greeted him, giving him a small punch to the shoulder as some upper-years made their way down. It was his idea to keep their still fledgling romance a secret - citing the twins and their antics - so, in public, they kept displays of affection to a minimum.

"Thanks," he said with a smile.

She sat down next to him, putting her bag on the floor beside her. "Er-here's your gift." She took out an orange-wrapped box and placed it on the table.

Ron shook his head, and Holly knew what was coming. "You already got me one? Chudley, remember?" he said, referring to the owl they had, rather ironically, owl-ordered after Scabbers had died.

"That doesn't count, that was a belated Christmas gift."

"But you already got me a Christmas gift-"

"Just take it. Please?" She widened her eyes in a silent plea.

"Fine."

He opened the present to reveal a hand-carved wooden box. It was nothing special-half the size of a Muggle shoebox and half a hand high, coloured a brilliant red. She had painstakingly carved the Chudley Cannons logo on the lid, with smaller, less detailed broomsticks surrounding it.

"You got me a Secrets box?" asked Ron, confused.

Holly knew Lavender had one for her makeup. It was a six-inch cube that she boasted held twice that. The box would lock itself every time it closed, and would only unlock when the owner used a wand and said a password.

"Well, not really, but close. I made it in Runes. Hagrid and Professor Babbling helped me out with getting the wood and carving and stuff. I had to do some extra credit projects, but it was worth it," she said with a grin, wiping her sweaty hands on her robes.

Ron stared at the present in awe. "You shouldn't have."

Holly grinned. "I wanted to. Go on, open it."

Inside was a collection of the sweets she had seen him buy during their unexpected solo Hogsmeade trip the year before, along with several non-magical novelties. He took out a packet of-"Raffa Cakes?"

"Jaffa Cakes."

"Oh," said Ron, closing the hinge-free box.

"You can set the box up to answer any password you want, you just need to tap it with your wand when you say it."

When Ron continued to examine the box, she added, "I know it's a bit small, but I didn't want to risk making it too big and messing it up, and I figured you wouldn't want something showy anyway. You always said Fred and George mess with your things and I...well, I thought it would be a good idea. Having something they don't know about and can't break into easily."

Her boyfriend continued to run his fingers over the red-stained willow wood, looking between her and the box with a neutral stare.

Doesn't he like it? Quite nervous now, she continued, "The enchantments should last for about a decade. That's what Babbling told me, anyway. And there are expansion runes on the inside that expands the inside three-fold. I couldn't manage any larger."

Still silence.

Holly could feel her heart plummet at his non-reaction. Why did she have to get all 'creative'? Maybe the broomsticks were a bit much... "I guess it was a rubbish idea, I can get you something else tomorrow if you don't-"

"This," Ron began, an odd tone in his voice, "is the best gift I've ever gotten."

Feeling herself flush, Holly looked down, clasping her hands together. "That can't be true," she muttered. Sure, his family wasn't the richest, but surely if not his mum or dad, then Bill or Charlie must have sent him something just as cool.

Ron shook his head. "No, no one's ever-" he cut himself off, shaking his head. He unexpectedly pulled her into a firm hug. "Thank you."

Holly returned it with a smile.