i. Baby Blue.

CHAPTER I,
Baby Blue.

    Daphne Laurier enjoyed flipping through magazines and reading up on what celebrities said or did. There was something about sitting down with a Coke and checking out the recent pictures taken of Rob Lowe. It's how she spends some nights; carelessly flipping through the pages of Teen Beat. Her math homework would be piled up on the corner but she would be lying in bed with her feet up in the air, graced by the celebrities on printed paper.

But not even Rob Lowe or any of Hollywood's hottest bachelors could cover up the voice of Nancy Wheeler gossiping on the phone with her best friend, Barbara. Daphne was supposed to be babysitting Dustin Henderson (like she had for the past two years or so) however he and his friends were playing at the Wheeler's basement. She'd sometimes agree to babysit the small group of four but Dustin was the kid she babysat all the time. So, Nancy told her to go over with June and they'd spend some time in her room since they're neighbors and all. (Nancy invited Barb, but she couldn't come). As a result, she had spent the last ten minutes blabbing about Steve Harrington on the phone.

    "Nancy," June called the girl from her seat on a fuzzy chair. "I'm trying to concentrate here but all I keep hearing is Steve's name." She whined, the baby blue nail polish fresh on her nails.

Nancy smiled, almost letting out a giggle. "I'm sorry, June, but—" she started but Daphne cut her off. "But Steve's so cute?" Daphne exaggerated with an amused smile from her position at the end of the bed. Nancy chuckled, tilting her head as a blush arose on her cheeks.

"Oh, Daph. I know you two don't really get along, but I'm happy about this. I'm sorry. I know you didn't come over to hear me talk about him." She put the phone on her lap.

Daphne smiled at her, sitting on the bed, "I don't care, Nance. I'm glad he makes you happy." She said. Nancy smiled wide, scooting over to hug the girl.

"Hello? Nance?" Barbara spoke from the phone. "She's all yours, Barb," Daphne said loudly, making sure Barb could hear her.

Daphne got up from the bed, nodding over to June to gesture they should be heading back home. June got up from her seat, shoving Daphne's magazine in her pale pink bag.

"Hey, Nancy." They heard from the doorway where Dustin stood. "There's a slice left if you want it. Sausage and pepperoni!" He said enthusiastically, offering a gummy smile to the brunette who looked over at her two friends.

"See you tomorrow, Nance." Daphne chuckled, smiling at the girl before heading to the door. June followed behind her, shutting Nancy's door once she was outside.

Dustin huffed grabbing the slice from the box, taking a bite from it. "I wasn't offered any pizza." Daphne raised an eyebrow, teasing the boy. "Well, now you're not getting any." Dustin closed the box, continuing to eat the pizza in his hand.

The three of them made their way out through the kitchen, where Dustin left the empty box of pizza for the Wheelers to deposit in the trash. "Goodnight, Karen." The two girls smiled at the woman as they followed Dustin through the garage door.

"There's something wrong with your sister," Dustin announced to Mike, who was talking to Will Byers and Lucas Sinclair. June had the urge to laugh right then but kept quiet.

"What are you talking about?" Mike furrowed his eyebrows, following Dustin with his eyes. "She's got a stick up her butt." The Henderson replied. Daphne pushed Dustin's head in a scolding manner but still an amused smile painted over her glossy lips.

Lucas scoffed, "Yeah. It's because she's been dating that douchebag, Steve Harrington." He followed the conversation. "So, everyone shares the same opinion on him?" Daphne breathily laughed.