Prologue

Two boys ran down the alleyway, tripping and stumbling, but not slowing down.

"Get them!" A deep voice yelled.

The younger of the two shot a frightened glance behind him.

Yang Jeongin. He was only nine, yet already a part of the mafia.

He had stumbled upon a meeting between two mafia groups the year before, and was given a choice.

Join the mafia, or die.

He was too young to die, so he joined, and now he was on a mission with his member Lee Know.

A gunshot echoed as a bullet bounced off the wall.

Jeongin ducked as Lee Know tossed him a bag.

"Go to the car, I'll hold them off! Don't lose those documents!"

With a nod, Jeongin took a series of alleys to throw off his pursuers before reaching their getaway car.

Lee Minho, who was twelve, was a spy and could easily take on these men.

He stood in the middle of the alley, not faltering despite the men pointing guns at him.

"Where're the papers?" one of them demanded.

"On their way to JYP," Lee Know responded calmly.

In the fight that ensued - consisting of daggers, guns, parries, kicks, punches, and even biting on Lee Know's end - a cry rang out.

"You woke the damned thing," one of the few men remaining snarled. He staggered backwards and turned. "Don't come near again."

"Let's go 'fore Boss finds out we're near it," another man agreed, and the four that were conscious left swiftly.

Lee Know turned towards the crying sound and cautiously crept forward.

A baby, only around two, lay in a pile of ash.

Blood was smeared on its face and hands, and it was bundled loosely in a tattered blue towel.

Squatting beside the child, Lee Know saw a deep gash that went right through its eye.

A note rested beside the crying baby.

Kill the baby. My wife had an affair. I want them both gone. -YG

Minho picked the baby up and cradled it against him.

"Quiet, darling," he whispered. He glanced at the baby again. "You're such a pretty girl," he added, and smiled as giggles reached him.

He stood, holding the girl against him. He now understood why the men had run. They didn't want anything to do with their boss's wife's child.

He held her carefully as he went to the car.

"Drive," he ordered, and the woman obliged.

I.N didn't speak, instead staring in confusion at the baby.

When they arrived, the boys walked into their house.

"What the fuck is that?" Chan asked as soon as he saw the baby.

"Get rid of it." Changbin said without even looking at her.

"This is a baby girl I found outside."

"Kill it," Jisung suggested.

No!" Minho immediately protested. "I want to keep her."

"Why?" Seungmin asked, poking the baby's stomach.

A soft laugh bubbled out of her mouth as he grabbed his finger.

"We're too young," Chan reasoned.

"So kill it," Hyunjin reiterated.

"Or we raise her," Felix mused, tickling under the baby's chin. "Train her to be our ninth member. If it goes wrong, then we kill her. But it could go well, getting a new member."

"She'll be our daughter," Chan pointed out. "That's a lot of responsibility."

"Kill it," Jisung and Hyunjin said at once, frowning at each other.

"You two are forbidden from speaking," Chan sighed.

"I agree with Felix," Jeongin said quietly.

"She's YG's ex's kid," Minho added. "He wants her dead."

The seven others exchanged a look.

"Fine, it can stay." Jisung nodded. "We can't let YG win."

"Exactly." Hyunjin nodded.

"Since you found her, you can name her," Chan told Minho.

"Since I found her in ashes, she should have a fire name." He smiled down at her. "How about Hestia?"

"I like it," Felix smiled. "Hestia."

"Welcome to the family," Jeongin said softly.

"Welcome to the mafia, Greek goddess of the hearth," Seungmin said, causing the others to laugh.

Even Changbin smiled at that. "Welcome to Stray Kids."