Phase 4: Chapter 79

Nobody guessed that Jeffery Langley's testimony would have the impact that it did, certainly not on Jack Merridew. That afternoon, Barnes finished questioning Jeffery only ten minutes after he called her out for insufficient evidence on the stand. It was a humbling moment for her, Jack noticed, and he was more than happy to see her knocked down a peg or two. Dana Barnes proved herself to be a relentless, scary woman. Not many people would've had the guts to stand up to her after watching her present her case over the last seven months. But when it came to protecting his son, Jeffery Langley could be pretty damn relentless too.

Jack excused himself from Evan, Paige, and Brett's presence in the first moment after they exited the courtroom that Thursday afternoon. Except, he didn't head for the washroom, as expected. Instead, Jack found himself sitting outside against the building, staring at the sun as it slowly made its way down the skyline. The colors it produced were nothing short of beautiful. How wonderful this world could've been if it wasn't for all the hate, the trauma, and the violence. People are so busy being spiteful and angry that they forget to just sit and watch the sun go down.

How different the world might be if they did.

Jack dropped his head and stared at the pavement beneath him. He let himself cry just a little, ever so quietly so that anyone passing by wouldn't have a clue. It was wretched to sit there and watch a father like Jeffery Langley defend his son by throwing his own integrity on the line. In no version of the world would Evan ever do the same for Jack, not even considering the man's own reputation and company were also on the line.

Jack had been wondering his whole life; a question that came through his mind like a tourist passing through on a semi-regular basis: What did I do to deserve to come into a world like this one? He was born to parents incapable of loving him, all while Ralph was born to parents like Jeffery and Laurie who provided him with so much more than money could ever buy. Growing up, people always told Jack how lucky he was. His room was bigger than most master bedrooms, he got to participate in whatever extra-curriculars he wanted, he knew nothing of food stamps, or what it was like to live paycheck to paycheck. Everything a person could possibly need was right there at his fingertips from birth. He never lived outside of a mansion with less than three luxury cars parked in front of it.

Lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky.

His whole life, he was lucky, lucky, lucky, lucky according to almost everyone who knew him and his family. But Jack didn't feel lucky. Not at four, not at eight, not at thirteen, and not at sixteen. Kids at school talked about him and the trial right after the first press release in November. They made jokes about it always being the spoiled rich kids who committed crimes simply because they grew bored of their fancy gadgets and luxury cars.

Jack never bothered to defend himself against the misconceptions others had about his wealthy life. No kid would believe him if he told them that money didn't actually make you rich. Jack's family had all the money a kid could imagine, but not for a moment did he ever feel rich. Money could only buy a person material things, the kind of things that would lose value in due time. The one and only resource that would matter forever was love and family, the one thing Jack never had. What's the point in being wealthy if you have to walk through the world completely alone?

Being rich isn't gold-plated toilet seats or brand new luxury sports cars, or paying for coffee with hundred dollar bills, or having a trust fund, or living in a house the size of a shopping mall, or playing a dozen different sports, or going on cruises and tropical vacations multiple times a year. Being rich is coming home after school and having someone who wants to hear all about your day. It's having someone to call when you get a flat tire and forgot to renew your Triple A membership. It's seeing the face of your mother light up when she watches your class Christmas concert from the crowd. It's having a handful of good people around you on your birthday to sing that song that makes your face go red. It's getting meaningful gifts that show how much people care for you instead of a the first expensive thing seen on the shelf. It's having a bad day at school and having someone to cry to and work through it with before you have to go back the next day. It's experiencing your first breakup and having a support system of love to cushion the blow. It's making a mistake and not having to cower in fear of being beaten within an inch of your life. It's trusting that the world is full of good people who want the best for you. It's getting stranded on a desert island and knowing that there are people searching for you, staying up at night sick with worry. It's having people to come home to when it's all over. It's family. It's love.