13.

When Sidra was taken in by the Fremen, she thought that she would be seeing Master Obi-wan in the next two days. 

But the Jedi learner watched each sunset and never saw Master Kenobi, Master Skywalker or Ahsoka on the horizon. She braved the dying heat in the evenings, and rose early in the mornings, but not once did she see a rescue or search party.

Sidra even requested for a search of the close desert. Naib Stilgar had been kind enough to grant this, and a team were sent out with the Jedi in the lead every day.

She appreciated the Fremen that ventured out of the sietche with her. She learnt how to walk like they did; with unrhythmic and articulated steps. Even though Sidra had read about the worms and their significance in the Fremen's belief, she was careful with her sandwalking as to not summon the beast.

The group that searched with the Jedi alternated, except for two constant companions; Chani and Paul. No matter how stifling the heat was one day, or how little water they had that morning, the Fremen and Atreides were always in the desert with Sidra.

One day, the search was out in the late evening. To avoid the midday heat, the Fremen and the off-worlders climbed the dunes while the sun lowered in the orange sky. But just like the previous day, there was no sign of wandering Jedi, and the worms were docile beneath the sand. This meant that no one was walking about the desert besides the Fremen themselves.

But Sidra didn't give up, and the Fremen didn't either.

'What are those little mice called?' Paul asked. In their descent down a dune's slope, Chani and Sidra paused in their walk.

Sidra followed Paul's gaze, which squinted in the sun. Just like he had said, a mouse was scurrying away from the group with the lightest touch from its tiny feet.

With large ears and a long, fur-covered tail, the mouse burrowed itself into the soft sand. It disappeared from sight and took refuge from the sun, leaving three toes in a v-shaped footstep.

'It's a desert mouse. We call them Muad'Dib,' Chani said, her blue eyes shifting between Paul and where the mouse had burrowed. 'They're one of the few animals that survive out here.'

'It's cute,' Sidra mumbled, unaware of the look she received from Paul. She was too busy looking to the rock formations in the distance. In her mind, Master Obi-wan could have decided to take shelter from the heat during the day, and would be searching for her in the night.

But Chani, who faced the two, saw the way that a smile grew on Paul's lips. His eyes travelled from her hair, which she had braided down her back, to her face. The sun's glare didn't sway Paul to look away. In fact, Chani was aware of how the boy struggled to leave the Chihari's side profile even when the Jedi turned to meet his stare.

Chani knew admiration when she saw it, and their silent exchange bled it in buckets. When Paul looked to his feet with flushed cheeks, Sidra bit her lip to stop her smile. Chani decided to end their suffering and be the first to resume their walk down the dune.

Although the sun was dying, its heat was still intense. The closest rock formation made for an effective rest point, so the group moved into its cracks. While perched up on the rocks, they would be able to take a breather and to drink some of their recycled water.

Down a narrow path, Sidra settled with the Fremen on a collection of flat rocks. Disappointed from their results, but not exhausted from the day, Sidra took the time to do some meditating. While doing this, her thoughts ran wild.

The days of searching had made the cinnamon smell less noticeable in the Spice, but Sidra noticed how much stronger she felt. She was already fit and healthy from her Jedi training, but after inhaling the Melange for several days, Sidra felt different.