Prologue

6th August, 1515
Topkapi Palace, Istanbul

"Gulshah!"
Mahidevran Hatun, Sehzade Suleiman's favourite consort, was suddenly gripped by a sharp pain in her stomach, causing her to cry out in agony.
"Is everything well, my sultan?"
Her trusted servant, Gulshah, rushed to her side, alarmed by the sight of Mahidevran's water breaking, signifying the imminent arrival of a new life within the palace walls. In a flurry of urgency, the servants sprang into action, and the female physician of Topkapi Palace was hastily summoned.

Meanwhile, Sehzade Suleiman paced anxiously outside Mahidevran's chamber, with several aghas standing by. Just as his patience was wearing thin, the physician emerged from the chamber.

"Congratulations, Your Grace, Mahidevran Hatun has given birth to twins," she announced with a curtsy.

Suleiman's face lit up with joy as he strode past the physician and into the chamber, where Mahidevran was resting, surrounded by his mother, Hafsa Sultan and his sister, Hatice Sultan.

"Sehzade Mustafa!" he murmured, cradling the baby boy in his arms.

Hafsa Sultan's eyes sparkled as she inquired, "And what about the little girl, my lion?"

Suleiman's gaze fell upon the serene, smiling little girl lying beside Mahidevran, in stark contrast to Mustafa, who was wailing loudly.

"She shall be named Elham, which means inspiration. My daughter, my inspiration," Suleiman declared with a beaming smile as he tenderly kissed his daughter's forehead.

And a Sultana with unyielding courage and whip-sharp wit was born.

******
Word meanings

Agha~ common Persian honorific title for men, the equivalent of "mister" in English.

Hatun~ lady/noblewoman

Sehzade~ Prince.