5.3 just calypso

Many eyes were on Calypso as she was escorted down the dark hallways of District Thirteen. The general population was aware of what she'd done and they looked at her with both disdain and confusion that she was not the feral animal they imagined her to have become. That was mostly thanks to Finnick and his insistence she was safe enough to leave her hospital room and have a proper wash for the first time in weeks. She'd been in that bathroom alone for long enough that he'd started to grow worried.

But it was Boggs with her now, acting as a personal bodyguard or perhaps protecting the citizens of his home from her. Either way, she had no intention of interacting with them. Calypso's eyes were set on the back of the man's dark uniform. It was a good five minutes of walking from the hospital, up in the elevator and then through another maze of corridors until they reached the President's office.

President Coin. A stern-faced woman with hair and eyebrows and angles too perfect. At least President Snow looked like a normal old man, albeit evil to his core. Calypso felt as if this woman had been moulded from clay and made just to perfectly parallel her Capitol counterpart. She was... unsettling.

"Calypso Silva," Coin regarded the young woman whose hands were clasped protectively around her middle, and whose eyes bored into the older woman as if she was thinking of ways to kill her. "You're-"

"Just Calypso," she interrupted. As much as it hurt to abandon her name, to scorn her father in such a way, she hated the sound of it. Miss Silva. Disgusting. "I'm just Calypso."

"Plutarch told me much about you, Calypso," Coin said with a polite nod. "I'm well aware it was you on the other side of our correspondence alongside Mr Abernathy. I wanted to thank you for everything you've done for us. For getting us our Mockingjay."

"I want to leave the infirmary," Calypso cut straight to the point. After days of Finnick and Johanna visiting, she felt rehabilitated enough to have some of her freedom back. While she was in a better state than her room in the Capitol, she still felt like a prisoner and it would not do. As long as she could control herself, which Finnick insisted she could, she wanted to be able to go. "Finnick has offered to let me stay with him. I feel healthy enough for it."

"I don't know if that's wise," Coin replied coolly and carefully after a moment of consideration. Calypso glanced over her shoulder at Boggs, who'd told her the president was an agreeable woman when she wanted to be. A single eyebrow flinched, but he otherwise had no reaction. "You're safer where we can monitor you and your condition."

"You mean you're safer if I'm somewhere easily contained," she retorted. Calypso let the silence linger for just a moment, her eyes drifting down to the table of modern design, lit by LEDs behind frosted glass. It was bright. Too bright. It was blinding and she had to close her eyes to remove it from her vision, though it did not erase the memories that were burned into her retinas.

"Miss Silva-"

"Calypso!" she exclaimed, a fist hitting the table. The young woman had to take a breath, then another and another before she could open her eyes and face President Coin. "I need to be with Finnick. For my sanity and for everyone else's safety. If you wanna make rules, do it. I just... I need Finnick."

Coin regarded Calypso with scrutinising eyes. All these deals to be made, whether with the Mockingjay or the Legacy, all the trouble the victors had given her thus far... They were the very reason she was going to win her war, and yet the very reason she could not yet move further with it. She'd taken these people in and hoped to make them her strongest soldiers. If Calypso Silva could be tamed, she'd surely be one of the best. What could the president do?

"Fine."

-