045

Season 9 Episode 23 - Readiness is All
Season 9 Episode 24 - Perfect Storm

Love. It's when two people love each other so much that they'll do anything for the other. Love. It's a drug. Once you fall in love, you become addicted. Love. It's a powerful thing.

Ivy's parents didn't actually love each other. But they stayed married, until her mom died. The only person who ever loved her growing up with Mark. And now Mark was dead.

Ivy had a few relationships in her late high school years and a few in college, but none of them lasted past the honeymoon phase.

To be loved unconditionally is a gift. But it's a gift that can be returned at any point in time.

Max loved Ivy. Truly loved her. He didn't use her, or abuse her, he just loved her unconditionally. No strings, no catch. Just love.

"Ivy Margaret Sloan. I have loved you since you bumped into me at the grocery store. And I want to continue to love you till my very last breath. I admire everything you do. Your smile, your laugh, your kindness, all of it. You make me so much happier than I've ever been. Nobody could ever live up to you, and nobody ever will." He opened the box in his hand. "Ivy Margaret Sloan, will you marry me?"

Ivy stood frozen. She looked at the ring and then back at Max, before a smile appeared on her face as tears began to stream down her face.

"Yes."

***

Ivy walked into work as any other day, only this morning, she had a new accessory on her finger. A shining diamond shape sparkling ring that glistened in sunlight.

She greeted her co-workers on her way into work,  some noticing her ring, and headed up to the attendings lounge. When she entered, Cristina was looking at her phone as Jackson was filling up his coffee.

"Have you seen this? There's a big storm coming." Cristina informed, reading a news article on her phone. Ivy hung up her jacket and grabbed a clean pair of scrubs. "Heavy rain...potential hazards." Cristina read off of the article.

"Lots of traumas I guess." Jackson sighed, taking a sip of his coffee.

Before Ivy could comment, April came rushing in, a huge smile on his face. "Is it true?" She asked.

The three turned to look at her, "Is what true?" Jackson countered.

"Are you engaged Ivy?" April clarified, the words running off of her tongue. Ivy smiled, and held out her hand, April gasping in awe. "Oh my goodness! It's beautiful, congratulations!" She beamed.

Cristina walked towards the two, "Let me see." Cristina inspecting the diamond as if she was an expert. "Okay I guess it'll work." Cristina smiled and hugged her friend. "Congrats, Ives."

"Thanks, Yang." Ivy smiled, reciprocating the hug. Before any of them could ask more questions, they all got a page.

"Hunt wants everyone in the lobby." April spoke aloud. She turned back to Ivy, "After, I want all the details." She smiled and her and Alex exited the room.

Ivy quietly giggled as she watched her friends walk away, turning around to see that it was only her and Jackson left. Her smiled slowly faded.