Chapter 9

Elle's POV

"How is it that I left thirty minutes early, am heading somewhere less than ten minutes away, and yet, I will be late. I am so annoyed right now." I huff while Jade continues waiting on hold, elevator music playing in the background. "I blame that stupid popstar, because he is causing my city to be one entire traffic jam right now."

I point towards the massive screen that showcased the "Harry Styles Sold Out Show". Jade covers her mouth and hides a faint smile, "so funny story Elle. Harry Styles called you and asked you to make him dinner."

I scoff. Yeah, okay.

"He was in a boyband you know?" Jade enlightens me on the history of Harry Styles, despite the fact I have no willpower to retain the knowledge. "Yeah, the kid made a big break by entering a singing show, I think they won, or maybe not. But in the end he joined a band, and they were a boy band that took the world by storm a few years back, and now they are all solo guys. An impressive career because look at all this, it is because of him."

I roll my eyes, "don't remind me." I glance at the clock, because reminding me of that just reminds me how I might be late for my own class. Not very professional. "Distract me." I summoned Jade since she finally gave up and hung up on customer support. She had spent at least two hours today off and on arguing with them about our plane tickets, because somehow there was a mix up and all three of us will not be sitting together on the way to Mexico City.

Jade presses the skip button, flashing through my songs that were in queue, "what is tonight's menu?"

I turn onto the road that the parking garage is on, thanking any and all lucky stars that I have the smallest potential to make it on time. "Some fried choux buns filled with chive infused creme fraiche and topped with vegan caviar. It will be served with a white truffle parmesan and chocolate habanero mayo dipping sauce. The secondary place setting will be dashi and spinach risotto with a crispy skinned salmon laid on top that is roasted with paprika and broccoli microgreens."

Jade stares at me with a grin, her pearly whites taking over her face, embedded in glossy lips that glint in the sunshine. "Nothing too complicated though, right? It would be insane if you went overboard or anything like that."

She teases me, but she knows I love to combine and mix the flavors, showing to people how easy it is to play around and come up with new concoctions that satisfy the soul. 

Once we finally park the car and start ushering in the cookbooks, aprons, and to-go containers for everyone to use we have approximately three minutes till people will show up. I have learned that ten to fifteen minutes before class is the sweet spot of when the early birds show up, and that's when I need to be ready and poised. Some come early to ask questions, others to look around, and then every so often there is a straggler or two who end up being late for class. Either way, I never mind as long as everyone gets a chance to make it to the class, I would hate for someone to have to call out.

Ricky was prepping things and unpacking by the time we arrived, dressed in casual but nice slacks and a button down shirt. Jade gives him a quick kiss and compliment before assisting him in his busywork.

Class ended up going a little longer due to a complication with a few of the ovens not working properly, but luckily all the attendees were so pleased with the end results, they didn't mind. A few of the guests also made comments about the insane traffic, and I have to bite my tongue at wanting to say how ridiculous events in the city make people at times. Anytime there are sporting events, concerts, tours, and all those type of events there is pandemonium that makes the streets unbearable.

I finally box up the last bit of leftover food and materials, asking Ricky to drop it off at a shelter to give them food because we were not in need of it. Ricky agrees and starts taking things to his vehicle.