Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Flashback, September, Year Six, 1891

Suggested Listening - Should Have Known Better (Sufjan Stevens)

----------------------------------------------------------

The two boys are hard to ignore as I walk into our common room. Although late, Sebastian is speaking loud enough to disturb others. Rather than having a conversation with him, Ominous seems more so to be reading and occasionally chiming in and nodding. As I get closer, Sebastian jerks his head up and grins.

"Wondered what took you so long, thought maybe you fell asleep before the owl came through your window," Sebastian said, looking wide awake and disheveled. I shake my head and offer him a small smile, the warmth of the fire nearby illuminating my face. Ominous looks less disheveled, but his ever present under eye bags seem to be darker than usual.

"Sebastian, you need to tell us what you called us here for at this hour," Ominous says, as if this is his life's biggest inconvenience. His politeness always seems to slip when he is unrested, which he most certainly is at this moment. I notice his fingers have slowed on the book, and that now instead he is drumming his fingertips timidly on the page.

Since coming back a few weeks ago, things have felt off between us. I initially assumed it was because of how everything ended last year, but he seems to have warmed again to Sebastian. His quick remarks and sarcastic replies are more constant than ever, but he seems to have slowed in his whispers towards me in class, his snide comments that only I can hear about Sebastian. All that has happened this year are simple pleasantries, questions about coursework and such. I feel as if we have started over, in a way.

"Okay, so you two will have to wait down here for a couple of minutes while I grab what I need. I didn't want to bring them unless I could give them to you at the same time," Sebastian tells us, still wearing a grin that is both playful and mischievous. He bounds towards the stairs that lead into the dorms, leaving Ominis and I alone.

I look at the space near him where he is sitting. "Mind if I share the couch with you?" I ask quietly. A small smile sits on his face. "Of course not. Feel free."

I sink into the spot next to him, slumping against the back of the couch. I watch him as he resumes reading, finding myself fixated on his fingers as he touches the braille.

"How are you?" he asks suddenly, snapping me out of my head. My eyes lock onto his face, trying to read it. It holds the same mild expression he normally wears. "Fine. Trying to stay afloat with classes, even though we have barely started. You?"

He shrugs. "It's been okay. I feel like this year will be relatively calm, at least in comparison," he says, still skimming his fingers on the book. I nod, even though he can't see it. Maybe I do it more as a comfort to myself, I don't know...

"Can I ask you something?" I say, almost surprising myself. His fingers stop moving and he angles himself to my voice, nodding.

Pausing for a moment to take a breath, I continue. "Why did you not send many owls this summer? Did I do something?"

He sucks a breath in between his teeth. It appears as if he is thinking about what or how to say things, but for a moment he looks lost. Patiently waiting, I twiddle my fingers in my lap, trying to read his face as best as I can.

"I think I just needed a break from everything. From thinking about what happened before the summer. You were part of those thoughts, and I just thought it best for my sanity that I distance myself," he says, looking solemn. I shake my head at his response.

"Did you know Sebastian stayed with me for a few days over the summer? I thought he told you, but maybe not. In the four days that he stayed with me, you sent him two owls. I hadn't received one in over a week from you." I pause, trying my best to level my emotions. "The situation was Sebastian's more than anything. Yet you did not distance yourself from him."

Ominous sits up a bit straighter at my words. "Sebastian has been my friend for most of my life. This was the first summer where I could not go to Feldcroft, and I managed by writing to him."

"You could have stayed with me," I say, so softly it almost doesn't register.

He shakes his head quickly. "I couldn't. You- you don't understand, but I couldn't stay with you. It just would not have been good for me."

"Then tell me, tell me why it wasn't good. I want to be here for you, help you-"

I am interrupted by Sebastian, who bounds into the common room with a smile and quick step. He holds two packages in his hand, strolling over to us eagerly. "I couldn't find one of the packages," he said to us.

Neither Ominis or I say anything in response. The air between us feels thick and heavy, as if the words between us were hanging there. Sebastian casts his eyes between the two of us, his face dropping a bit. "You guys okay?"

I nod, and Ominis speaks. "We are tired, Sebastian. I have class in a few short hours, so please indulge us quickly so I can retire for the night."

Sebastian grins, used to Ominis' exasperated personality. "Okay, so you have to open them at the same time. I'll count to three for you," he says, holding out the packages. Mine is small and square, Ominis' is a bit more oddly shaped and lumpy. "Are they not the same item?" I ask, taking the gift.

"Not really, I mean... you'll see. They are similar but unique to you guys," he says, shoving the other package into Ominis' lap. "Okay, one, two, three... open them!"

Tearing the wrapping off of mine, I am greeted with a small box. Upon opening it, I see a small pendant inside. Silver, with a long chain, and mostly plain. Until I notice...

"Is there braille on the pendant?" I ask, looking up at Sebastian. He grins and nods. I trace my fingers on the small bumps. "But what does it say?"

Sebastian opens his mouth, but Ominis beats him to it. "Three headed serpent," he says, his breath quick. I look over to see his hands holding a leather bookmark, with similar braille etched onto it. "But why?" he asks Sebastian.

The look on Sebastian's face becomes solemn for a moment. "I wanted you guys to remember everything we had been through together, everything we will encounter in the future." He pauses for a moment, looking nervous. "I won't ever stop telling the two of you how much it means that you didn't... send me away last year. I-I know that I can be a lot for the two of you to manage sometimes, but I wanted to show my appreciation. My love for the two of you and for our friendship."

No words come out of my mouth. I glance at Ominis, who is tracing his fingers along the bookmark silently. My eyes fall back onto Sebastian, who is standing and waiting for someone to say something.

I stand up first, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. "Thank you," I whisper into his ear. "I'm so grateful for our friendship."

I can sense Ominis standing behind me, and I move so that Sebastian can embrace him as well. Ominis' face is twisted with a mixture of sadness and adoration, and he speaks to Sebastian with a soft tone. "Do you have something to match us?"

"Merlin, I should have shown you what I got!" Sebastian says, searching his pockets. I see him hand a small object to Ominis, allowing him to feel it and touch the braille.

"A pocket watch? I got a bookmark... What does Aislynn have?" Ominis asks. I hand him the small box, watching as he lifts the lid and touches the pendant. His face drops a little, but I can't decipher why. "A necklace."

"We now can carry a piece of each other wherever we go. And I'm confident we will do so for the rest of our lives," Sebastian says proudly, looking pleased with himself.

Those last words hit my chest unexpectedly. Things have felt so awkward since coming back from the summer, that I wonder if these gifts really will be eternal. Looking at Ominis, I can see in his face that he is less than convinced as well as he holds the box with the necklace out towards me. I take it back from him gently, tucking the box in my pocket.

"Three heads are better than one. And I don't think there could be a better three headed snake than the likes of us," Sebastian says, grinning.

I smile back, but I can't help the sinking feeling that grows inside of me. Like this is the beginning of the end, like we are already slipping away from each other but we don't know it yet.