6 Facts About the Barista Experience | New Jersey Coffee School

As a barista, I've navigated the bustling world behind the espresso machine for years, witnessing the quirks and challenges that come with the territory.

What are some things that drive baristas crazy?

Ah, the age-old question. There are a few pet peeves that tend to ruffle our apron feathers. Firstly, inconsistency in orders can throw off our rhythm. From "extra hot" to "extra foam," each request demands precision, and when customers change their minds halfway through, it can be a tad exasperating. Then there's the eternal struggle with equipment maintenance. Nothing disrupts a smooth operation like a malfunctioning espresso machine or a temperamental grinder. And let's not forget the dreaded milk steaming mishaps – a screeching frother can make even the most composed barista cringe.

How often do baristas use milk frothers?

Frother is our trusty sidekick in the quest for velvety microfoam. Depending on the café's specialty menu and customer preferences, we might be wielding that frother more often than not. From lattes to cappuccinos, milk-based beverages are a cornerstone of many coffee orders, meaning our frothing skills get quite the workout. On a busy day, I'd say we're firing up the frother every few minutes, ensuring each cup receives that perfect crown of frothy goodness.

Is it better to be a barista or a bartender?

Ah, the age-old debate between beans and booze. As a barista, I may be biased, but I believe each role offers its unique joys and challenges. While bartenders craft cocktails and cultivate a vibrant atmosphere, baristas have the privilege of working with the nectar of the gods – coffee. We're the purveyors of morning rituals and midday pick-me-ups, fostering connections over the sacred brew. Plus, the aroma of freshly ground beans beats the smell of spilled liquor any day, in my humble opinion.

How much coffee do baristas drink?

Our daily fuel and faithful companion. It's no secret that baristas have a deep-seated love affair with coffee, but just how much do we consume? Well, let's just say our tolerance for caffeine borders on legendary. Between dialing in espresso shots, tasting new blends, and staying alert during those early morning shifts, I'd estimate I go through at least a few cups a day. But hey, who's counting when every sip is a taste of liquid gold?

Which country has better baristas, Italy or Australia?

Italy, the birthplace of espresso, boasts a rich tradition steeped in history and heritage. Italian baristas have honed their craft in the iconic espresso bars of Rome and the bustling streets of Milan, mastering the art of the perfect espresso shot. On the other hand, Australia has emerged as a formidable contender in the coffee scene, with its thriving café culture and penchant for specialty coffee. While Italy may hold the crown for tradition, Australia's innovative approach to coffee roasting and brewing techniques has earned it a rightful place on the global stage.

Can someone who doesn't like coffee work as a barista?

It may seem counterintuitive, but yes, even non-coffee drinkers can thrive behind the counter. While a love for coffee certainly adds a layer of passion to the craft, being a barista is about more than just sipping espressos between shifts. It's about hospitality, precision, and the joy of creating something special for each customer. So whether you're a die-hard coffee aficionado or simply appreciate the art of the perfect pour, there's a place for everyone in the world of baristas.

In conclusion, being a barista is a multifaceted journey filled with caffeinated highs and occasional frothy frustrations.