The Coffee Shop

The brilliant, shining orange sun began its descent on the small city. Shops closing down one by one in response to the blazing aberration that called forth the rocky moon. Its body reflecting down onto the sleepy little town to bring remnants of the sun still shining away.

Down the cobble road and past the barber's and the restaurant and the casino standing tall, a small coffee shop, still up and running in the darkness, machines whirring with espressos and the static of the CCTV. A tall man staring down at a familiar face with an aghast expression, before it contorts to a grin.

But that's a bit rushed. Way too fast for my taste. Morbid, even.

Instead, allow me to pull you away from such a scornful narrative to 3 days ago, where the sun finds itself peaked over the sky. Blue and untouched, whirring with clouds which hold rain, and shine through with beauty.

-----------------------

"OJ! The cameras are going out again!"

OJ groaned. "Gimme a second!" He called back, turning to the customer in front of him, who pondered intensely for what they desired on their menu.

"Ma'am, if you need a moment to think, may you please step to the side?"

"No no, I think I've got it."

OJ blinked expectantly at the customer, who began to speak. "Can I get the...Caramel Macchiato?"

The man nodded, clicking at the screen before him as he added the drink to the cart. "What size?"

"Medium, please."

"Is that all?"

"Yes."

OJ finished up the order, moving to create the drink as Paper poked his head out of the office.

"Nevermind! I got it working!"

"I swear, we REALLY need to fix whatever is causing that."

Paper nodded, gazing out at the small line of customers, which grew infinitely shorter as the taller boy worked.

A small ding of the front door rang through the tiny shop, as OJ and Paper perked up at the sight.

"Knife! Welcome back!" Paper brought himself out fully from the doorway.

"Hey you two! How's it going?"

OJ smiled, cleaning the counters of any mess. "It's going great. We have a bit of a problem with the breakers, but I'm sure I can fix it lickety split."

Knife snorted back a small laugh at the boy's weird wording. "'Lickety split'." He echoed, snickering.

Paper placed his hands on his hips, giving Knife a playful bop. "Be nice!"

"Sorry, sorry!" Knife made his way to the stools at the front, which initially found themselves deserted.

"Usual?"

He nodded, and the orange-haired beanstalk began his work. Paper found his own pathing to the two, sitting down next to Knife. "How's your work?"

"Eh, could be better. Just a few petty thefts here and there. One dude tried to steal a purse in broad daylight, but the lady pulled out some pepper spray and got him good in the eyes."

Paper nodded as he listened intently, OJ, eventually, sliding the freshly-brewed coffee over to Knife. He nodded his thanks, taking a swig of the steaming drink. OJ and Paper watched intently with neutral smiles. They quickly dropped at the sound and sight of a new entry, OJ, specifically, irked considerably.