Chapter 1: Conference

Planet Csilla, Supreme General Bakifs Office

Ar'alanis throat was sore from the moment she laid eyes on the monitor. On it were pictures of the aftermath of an orbital bombardement. What made it worse, was that this destruction happened on a chiss world! The destroyed cities and fleet culminated in a picture of death and destruction. The admiral had problems keeping her composure. Luckily she wasnt the only one, Mid Admiral Kiwu'tro'owmis stood to her right holding off tears. on her left stood the two Senior Captains Ufsa'mak'ro and Irizi'in'daro. Sitting on a chair behind them was the human called Eli Vanto, who was sent by Thrawn to help figure out how the Chiss navigators ability to use the third eye could be better understood. The two Supreme Generals Bakif and Jafosk, who were seated on the opposite side of the desk only allowed him here because Aralani personally demanded it. Even though Eli has been serving the ascendancy almost three years now, his presence was still an adjustment for many. But what did all these officers who had been assembled here in common? Well, everyone in this room has a close history with the infamous Thrawn. And because everyone either worked closely with him or knew him otherwise, was the reason they were called here by Bakif. Bakif was the first one to break the silence:" Now incase the shock of this information made you overhear some details ill be repeating myself," his tone grew darker as he continued:"Three days ago we lost contact with the defense fleet of the outer colony world of Chira. We sent a patrol to the world that arrived a day later. this is all they found. Among the destroyed ships was a political vessel of the Pataatu that was supposed to meet with a represantative of the ascendancy there."

So the rumors that the Aristokra voted to open the borders to form new alliances to help with the fight against the Grysk threat were true. Quite the change but a necessary one, considering that the battle at Sunrise was only won with the help of the Paccosh and other species that aided Thrawn almost twenty years ago. "What do the Pataatu say to the attack?" Aralani asked after finally regaining her ability to speak. Bakif responded:"Well obviously they arent very happy, but the Pataatu know that we suffered considerably more than them." Aralani let out a sigh. So this wouldnt hinder more negotiations. "Then lets adress the more important matter, who is responsible for this? The Grysk" Aralani asked. "Thats why you all are here" General Jafosk took over adressing the whole room. "We have no confirmation of any Grysk activity in this sector. Although as past events have shown that doesnt mean it wasnt them. But considering that this happened at the very border of the ascendancy anyone could be the culptrid.". Samakro took the word:"It has to be them, Sir! We know of no other Faction with this much firepower!" he shouted. Bakif stood up. Slow enough as to not scare everyone but fast enough to give more precence for his next words. Aralani caught herself taking a step back. "We didnt know of the Nikardun aswell and they very much existed, Senior Captain. Yes the Grysk have been a primary threat these past decades but that doesnt mean they are responsible for everything. There are after all many other threats out there." he sat back down:"I know all of you are emotional right now but we need to stay calm.". Even though Aralani was a seasoned veteran by now, she still never saw a chiss world destroyed. The ascendancy may have been attacked many times, but no enemy ever had the capabilities to destroy a chiss world like this for centuries. This was a first time for all of them. Even if the defense fleet was small it shouldnt have been this easy. Wutroow began to speak up after finally managing to collect herself:"Sirs, if i may speak up?". Bakif and Jafosk both nodded in approval. "What is your plan for this?"

The two Supreme Generals looked at her with a softened look. At least as soft as their ranks allowed them to be in this situation. Bakif took the word:"All of you have had a close relationship, be it either at work or other with Senior Captain Thrawn," he felt a slight pain in his chest at mentioning Thrawns name. Even after all this time, Bakif still didnt forgive himself for his banishement wich led to his disappearence last year. "wich, makes you the most qualified people to find the ones responsible."  Ziinda answered:"What are your orders Sir?" Bakif responded:"All of you will start a investigation led by Admiral Aralani. Your first stop will be Chira. Try to fin any clues to who is responsible. All of you will, for the entire duration of this investigation, report directly to either General Jafosk or myself. You have two days to prepeare your ships. Youll get more details when you arrive at your offices onboard your vessels. Dismissed."

As everyone left the office Aralani approached Eli. "How do you see this situation Subcommander?" asked Aralani. She made sure to mention his rank for he had not been used to it even though he held the title for over 2 years now. Eli straightened his posture and answered in a respecful tone:"Well, it doesnt sound like the Grysk to me maam. Its just not their style. Normally they would be more sneaky. And besides, they seem to have gained more of an interest for my part of the galaxy". Ah yes, his part of the galaxy, the Lesser Regions where Thrawn was banished to gain the so called empire as an ally to the ascendancy. How much Aralani still hated the syndicure for banishing Thrawn. But she also held quite a bit of resentment for Bakif aswell, since this entire ordeal was his idea. Because of this, the ascendancy lost its best hope for quickly dealing with this threat. But Eli, the human Thrawn sent to Aralani a year before he disappeared, has proven to be just as loyal and valuable to the ascendancy as Thrawn was. Even if it was in a different way. And since Eli worked 18 years as Thrawns right hand man, it was only logical that some of his tactical knowhow would go over to Eli. "Yes, it seems the Grysk might not be involved for once. it seems" said Aralani after she reemerged from her thoughts. "But we cannot be too sure. We must be prepeared for all possible outcomes if we are to end this threat before it becomes bigger.". "Well i doubt that we will be unprepeared, we have the greatest commanding officers of the ascendancy working together here. We should be fine." it sounded more like Eli tried to calm himself down more then he wanted Aralani to. But there was some truth in his words. If someone would be able to defend the Ascendancies territory it would be Samakro, Ziinda, Wutroow, Eli and her. Whoever dared to threaten the ascendancy at this time had to either be really smart or bring some big guns to stand a chance. "You are right Subcommander. lets head to the Steadfast and make her ready for launch. i dont want to keep the others waiting." Aralani led the way towards the exit of the Military complex. "Yes Maam" answered Eli before following just behind her.