Chapter Four

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window, the dawn light gently filtering into my room. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I reached for my phone to check the time but found a text notification from my doctor.

“Zavier, urgent! Swing by Lovelock Animal Shelter today. It might help.”

Confusion knitted my brow. Lovelock Animal Shelter? How could that help? I trusted my doctor’s advice, even if it seemed unconventional.

With a sense of curiosity mingled with apprehension, I got ready for the day, my mind swirling with questions. As I stepped out of my apartment, a familiar knot tightened in my chest at the thought of facing Zora—the girl I had been avoiding.

The day before, I had saved her from being robbed the other night, but I couldn’t shake the feeling of unease that lingered between us. Love had betrayed me once before, and I wasn’t eager to open myself up to its whims again.

Pushing aside my doubts, I made my way to Lovelock Animal Shelter, the air thick with anticipation and uncertainty. And there she was, Zora, she looked beautiful even in her teal medical scrubs standing by the entrance, her presence both comforting and unnerving.

Before I could retreat, our eyes met, and there was no turning back. With a hesitant smile, she greeted me, her voice soft yet filled with unspoken questions. “Hi, how may I help you I’m Zora”. She kept smiling at me but she looked uncomfortable

And then, as if by fate’s design, my gaze fell upon the dog she was tending to

“Who is this I asked?” looking down at her. Her smile was completely gone and if you hadn’t seen it you wouldn’t have even known it was there in the first place “This is Tom” tears formed In her eyes. Tom’s missing paw stood out, a silent testament to the trials he had endured. Zora noticed my attention, her voice gentle as she explained his story.

“He’s had a rough journey,” she began, her eyes reflecting a depth of understanding. “But he’s full of love, despite it all hes a wonderful dog he needs a chance because he deserves love just like any other animal” The smile was back on her face

A wry chuckle escaped me, surprising even myself. With a gesture, I rolled up my jacket sleeve revealing the space where my left arm should have been. Below where my elbow should have been was gone

Zora’s eyes widened in realization, a mixture of surprise and empathy washing over her. In that vulnerable moment, barriers crumbled, and truths emerged.

“I think Tom and I have more in common than meets the eye,” I admitted, a flicker of warmth igniting within me. Tom broke away from Zora and came charging at me and jumped up into my arm licking my face

In the quiet embrace of Lovelock Animal Shelter, amidst wagging tails and whispered promises, I found solace in the unexpected—a connection forged not by chance, but by the intertwining threads of fate and the healing power of love, in its purest, most resilient form.

“I’ll take him I need him and h3 needs me”.

Zoras pov

I can’t believe this I found him a home Oh well, who cares Tom had found a home and I was so happy he had someone who would understand him. “Follow Me, “ I said and led him to my office

“Name?” I asked him

“Zavier Robert’s,” he said with the biggest smile on his face still rubbing Tom’s head and laughing at his barking It was hard to believe this was the same guy who a night ago snapped a guy’s arm in half for pointing a gun at me. “Occupation?” I asked, looking at him over my computer screen. “I don’t work. I’m a disabled veteran, so that’s where my money comes from”. I continued asking the questions we had to and then two came to mind “Ok Mr. Robert’s I have two last questions then were finished so the first is how old are you?, and the last is do you live alone?” I heard him chuckle. “I’m 34, and I don’t think my home life has anything to do with adoption, but,” I felt his hand lift my chin “ I live alone, and I’m single”.