Prologue

"That was enough"

"Although I became a completely different person in a completely different world."

"Although I lost everything from the previous world."

"The current me... no, we, could confidently say we were happy."

*

*

*

Tears rolled down Jace's cheeks as he laid his eyes upon the ending lines of the novel he had been reading for the past months. He wiped the tears away as he reminisced upon the past. It took a year of constant all nighters and a hiatus from the author for this journey to finally come to an end. After everything, all he could say was that the ride was definitely worth every second he had spent.

Sighing, Jace flopped onto his bed staring blankly at the dirty, yellow ceiling, his eyes tracing the edges of his room. His bedroom was just a measly 100 square foot space that barely held enough space to move around even with the bare minimum amount of furniture.

What could he do though? It was the best they could afford.

'What should I read now.?'

He turned to the old digital clock on the nearby night stand.

7:18 PM

His eyes then wandered towards the blank papers on his desk.

'Should I do my homework?'

Jace contemplated for less than a split second before shaking his head in disbelief. He hadn't done any homework for over a month. What's another day gonna do?

Instead, Jace opted to browse the internet for another novel to read. Picking up his old-fashion smart phone, he pressed on the browser app.

Nowadays, people would've just used their hologram phones or, if they were rich, used the hologram chip implanted into their brains. Jace, however, could not afford such luxuries. He had barely scrapped together enough money for the old-school phone. Yet, he bought it believing the purchase would make him more productive. The results show for itself.

Jace laid on his bed browsing the forums for a few minutes before his grumbling stomach interrupted his concentration.

Sighing, he got up from the comfort of his bed and left his room.

Jace lived alone with his sister in a three room apartment which only included a bedroom, bathroom, and living room with a small section used as the kitchen. It was the bare minimum but the best they could afford with the money they scrapped together.

Entering the living room, Jace heard the crinkle of a plastic wrapper.

"The lazy beast has awaken." Rain glanced up and scrunched her nose in disgust. "You look horrible."

Turning his head, Jace's gaze found his 13 year old sister siting on the floor munching on a Pocky stick. A sitting table was propped on the floor where her notebook and school supplies sat on top of.

Due to their living conditions as well as Rain's refusal to share a room, they had converted half of the living room into a suitable living space for her. And due to her persistence for privacy, a large blanket was hung from the ceiling acting as a curtain.

"Like you're one to talk." He jeered back. "You're not exactly a pretty sight either."

Rain scoffed but couldn't find the words to deny it.

Rain had not grown up in the most ideal places. She was malnourished causing her short and scrawny figure. The clothes she wore hung off her body as they were hand-me-downs. The only thing going for her was her long black hair that flowed lusciously without a single fray or tangle.