thanksgiving

The next day I wake up feeling a little under the weather, but not too horrible to not being able to hide it from my family. Now it's actually Thanksgiving. I come downstairs and see the time. I see that it's already 12 pm.

I shake my head, "How did I sleep that long?" I mumble to myself, as I see my dad in the kitchen, already preparing our Thanksgiving meal. Ruby is sitting at the table, "Morning, Ruby," I say, ruffling her hair as I pass by to grab some coffee.

"Did you have fun with your friends last night?" She asks

"Yeah I did," I say

"Who was that guy who drove you home?" She asks

"That was just a friend, Ruby," I reply, trying to keep my voice casual. "He was just making sure I got home safe." I quickly change the subject, not wanting to get into that discussion. "And why were you even still awake?"

"I couldn't sleep," Ruby shrugs, "I was too excited about today." I laugh, ruffling her hair again before turning to help Dad with the cooking.

"Sounds like someone's excited for Thanksgiving," I say, smiling at her enthusiasm. We spend the rest of the day cooking, laughing, and enjoying our time together. We set up the table and sit together. I hope we can have an actually peaceful Thanksgiving this year.

"So, how has school been?" Dad asks ruby

"Its been alright," She says, but her tone seems a little off

"Are you sure? I remember being in 8th grade," I say, trying to see if she will open up a little bit

"Nothing major, just typical school stuff," Ruby says, but I still feel like she's not saying the whole truth

"Ruby, you know you can talk to us about anything, right?" I say, giving her a reassuring smile. She nods, but remains quiet for the rest of dinner. I can't help but worry about her, hoping she's not dealing with anything too serious.

"And how has school been for you?" Dad asks me

"It's been fine, apparently there going to be some group project in chemistry," I say

"Well maybe you need to learn how to get along with people," He says

"I am getting along with people, Dad," I respond, a slight edge to my voice. "Just because I don't want to work with certain people doesn't mean I can't get along with them."

"You know, Y/N," Dad says, his voice unusually serious. "I was your age once, too. I know what it's like to be a teenager, to want to fit in and have fun with your friends. But it's also important to make good choices and to be responsible." I feel my heart skip a beat, wondering if he's hinting at something. "I don't want you to think that I don't trust you, but I want you to be safe."

"Dad, are you trying to say something?" I ask, my voice tense.

"I just want you to be careful," he replies, "Especially when it comes to drinking. It can lead to a lot of problems."

I feel a wave of anger wash over me. "So you're accusing me of drinking now?" I say, standing up from the table. "Is that what this is about?"

"I didn't say that, Y/N," he answers, sounding frustrated. "I'm just saying that I want you to be safe and make good choices."

"I am making good choices, Dad!" I snap, my temper flaring. "I can't believe you'd think so little of me." Without another word, I storm out of the room

Upstairs, I can still hear their voices, a low murmur rising and falling. I can't make out the words, but the tone is enough to tell me that the argument isn't over.

In my room, I take a deep breath and pull out my phone. I scroll through my contacts until I find Finn's number. My heart pounding, I press the call button and wait for him to pick up.

After a few rings, he picks up. "Hello?" he says, sounding surprised. I take a deep breath, unsure of what to say.

"Hey, Finn," I manage to say. "I just needed someone to talk to."

"Did something happen?" He asks

"Yeah," I admit, "I just had a fight with my dad. He's accusing me of drinking and I'm just... I don't know, I'm just really upset right now."

"Well, I don't know if you should be getting mad at him, he's right," He says

"I know, but he didn't have to bring it up in front of my sister," I say

"I guess," Finn agrees, "But he's just worried about you, Y/N"

"I feel like there's nothing to be worried about, it's not like every teenager doesn't do this," I say

"Well, every teenager doesn't do what you do," He says

"I guess you're right," I admit, "I just wish he would trust me more." There's a pause, as I try to gather my thoughts. "Anyway, thanks for listening, Finn. I really needed someone to talk to."

"It's fine. Now I need to get back to my Thanksgiving dinner," he says then he hangs up. I didn't know he left his own dinner just to talk to me.

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling. The words of the argument echo in my mind, making me feel miserable. I know I messed up, but what's done is done. All I can do now is try to fix things and hope for the best.

I walk downstairs and sit back in my seat.

"Dad, I'm sorry," I say, breaking the silence. "I didn't mean to get angry. I understand you're just looking out for me." He looks at me for a moment, then nods, accepting my apology. We finish our meal in a comfortable silence, the tension from earlier slowly fading away.

I go back into my room and just try to sit and think for a while. The rest of the evening passes by uneventfully. Despite the earlier argument, there's a sense of peace that settles over the house. I go to bed early, feeling drained from the day's events. As I close my eyes, I can't help but think about what Finn said. Maybe he's right, maybe I need to be more careful. With that thought in my mind, I go to sleep, hoping that tomorrow will be a better day.