Chapter 10

The strength of Ion's legs did not mirror the weakness he felt in his soul, though night by night his legs seemed to grow weaker, as if they sought to match it. Every night, he awoke—insofar as one who did not sleep could wake—and felt, as it were, a viscous cloud form over his head that followed him wherever he went. It laid only heavier upon him, and fogged his path all the more, as time went on. He wished that he could sleep forever—or even for just a moment—though that rest he craved never came. Even still, somehow, one foot always appeared in front of the other on that unending trail. It began to be that Naim led the way on some nights, while Ion lagged behind. Her resolve seemed to grow only stronger as Ion's spirit muffled.

As Ion, Naim, and little Vio journeyed on, the road began to slope upwards. A mountain's great silhouette did not emerge into view, as they expected; rather, they marched toward an enormous storm of swirling, whipping dust. The crescent moon gradually faded from view the closer they got, obscured by choaking dirt blown every which way. So thick was the miasma, it was almost impossible to keep their eyes open, except to squint enough to find a place for their next step on the steep, rocky terrain, which carried them up what must have been a mountain.

The wind became so drastic, Naim in turn became convinced she'd blow away unless she stayed near the ground, hunched on three limbs with the fourth holding tight to Vio as she clambered up the slope.

Ion followed close behind. Though his cloak billowed violently at the tempest's touch, Ion's pace was steady, and his face as stone.

Hours passed quickly as meters up the mountain went slow. Eventually, the cloud they were entrenched within brightened. The sun is rising. There was no place for them to hide the daylight away.

Ion looked up. The dust stung his eyes. Would this storm be pavilion enough to shade them from the grasping shadows?

Ion trudged ahead, quickening his pace. He passed Naim by, and motioned for her to speed up as well. Something. Anything. Ion's gaze was locked ahead, though the dust brooked no visual quarter. He wouldn't see any sort of shelter unless it was mere feet away.

Up and up they went, up the rocky side of the mountain. Naim was lagging behind. She was exhausted; thoroughly, completely. She could hardly take a breath with the dirt all around, and Vio seemed to grow only heavier in the nest of her arm.

Even so, Ion's clambering quickened still. The sun's faint light could hardly breach through the storm, but still, it was getting brighter. He took another step, and...

All was quiet. All was clear. Ion had stepped through a veil. Behind him, the storm of dust still raged. It acted as a solid wall all around. But here, in the large circular clearing which he entered, the air was steady—stagnant. The sky above was empty. No rustling or whistling wind could be heard. A bubble in the eye of the storm, silence extending to the heavens. The quietude unsettled Ion.

Naim stepped through the stormy wall a moment later. Shock filled her dust-caked face. "What is this place?" she asked.

In front of them, at the center of the clearing, was a grand, opulent construction of stone with a tower that soared into the sky, pointing into an elegant spire. Atop the spire was a cross. "A church?"

Ion didn't know the meaning of the word.

At the building's side was a withered tree that must have been impressive in its prime. A thick, twisting trunk that branched itself as giant thorns. Within the branches were a pair of black, watchful eyes. A horrible shriek erupted from the tree as a dark object darted into the sky. Unfurled wings stretched from the thing's torso as it circled over the pair's heads far above.