Introduction

Disclaimer: This is nothing more than a fan-made work made for entertainment purposes. Robotech, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, and Megazone 23 are all owned by Harmony Gold, Tatsunoko Productions, Big West, Studio Nue, Carl Macek, Shoji Kawamori, Yasuo Hasegawa, Shinji Aramaki, Hideki Kakinuma, and Noboru Ishiguro. Please support the official release.

ROBOTECH ODYSSEY

Generations of Evolution

Introduction

DEDICATION: This project is dedicated to the tribute and loving memory of Carl Macek, the creator of ROBOTECH who sadly left us too soon. It was his vision and brilliance that brought the world of Japanese anime to prominence in the Western world in the first place and made ROBOTECH the cult-favorite worldwide phenomenon that it is now today.

BACKGROUND OF THE STORY: For those who don't know, ROBOTECH is a cult favorite American science fiction franchise that began with an 85-episode anime television show produced in 1985 by American film and TV production company Harmony Gold USA in association with Japan's Tatsunoko Productions. Originally, the series started as Harmony Gold given the right to market one of Tatsunoko's anime series, Super Dimension Fortress Macross, in America for weekday syndication television. However, syndicated TV shows at the time required a minimum of 65 episodes and Macross only had 36. So, to solve this problem, Harmony Gold had the bold idea to frankenstein Super Dimension Fortress Macross with two other unrelated anime with similar motifs, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross and Genesis Climber MOSPEADA, into one show with an overarching storyline that spanned three generations, with the now late Carl Macek as the show's main story editor.

Today, ROBOTECH has become a polarizing subject in the anime community. While many praise the series for its take on human issues such as love, drama, and death, some condemn the series, calling it a bastardization of the source material. Not only that but ROBOTECH's legacy has been tainted due to the harsh legal actions of Harmony Gold concerning the licensing of Macross content in the West that has lasted for years by this point, though things began to calm down back in 2021. But, that's not what we're here to talk about....

As I already said, this project will be a complete reboot of the original ROBOTECH series and its sequels/spin-offs, including Jack McKinney's Robotech novel series, Robotech: The Movie, Robotech II: The Sentinels, and Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles, as part of my attempt to weave the three sagas together far more coherently than they were in the original TV show and give the story a proper ending.

AUTHOR'S NOTES: Now I like to mention that I shall mix several elements of both the Robotech and Macross franchises, like the name of the SDF-1 will be the Macross even before the Zentraedi attack. Also, the original name of Macross Island, the island where the SDF-1 crash-landed, is South Atalia Island (a nod to South Ataria Island from the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross). I will also include the UN Wars of Unification Wars as I'm going to call it, which will stretch from about a year or so following the crash-landing of the SDF-1 onto the planet and roughly a year and a half before the outbreak of the First Robotech War. Thanks to this, Roy Fokker won't be famous for his time in the Global Civil War, but during his service in the Unification Wars instead. While Roy in this story had enlisted during the Civil War's waning months, it will be more of Captain Gloval's and Admiral Hayes' war instead. Speaking of the Global Civil War, I am going to have it replace the post-Cold War era of today's world, similar to the Second Cold War that's part of the lore of Battletech. Instead of a full-on World War III, it will basically be a series of proxy wars and regional conflicts where the three main factions (NATO, the Warsaw Pact, and the Northeast Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere) will be involved in some way. The war begins in 1995 with the launch of Space Station New Frontier (just think of it as ROBOTECH's version of our real-life International Space Station) and ends in 1999 with the arrival of the SDF-1, thankfully before any nukes started flying.