6. A mistletoe

After that day, Elias spends more and more time with me, making regular walks with me. Chise doesn't seem to be offended by that, she could focus better at her studies and could talk a lot more with Stella.

Elias taught me all sorts of things about the forest and their neighbors, including the gods. "Will I ever be able to master to control such a massive power?" I asked out loud, gaining a questioning look from Elias. "Don't worry, as my student, I will help you learn it" he said, patting my head. The rest of the day, we collected all sorts of stuff, for his house to decorate in. He said it's an old tradition and it is important, as a mage, to take them serious.

At home, he took Chise out of her room and told her to help him out with the arrangements.

Meanwhile, I was with Silky, making dinner ready. Once everything was ready, I opened the window of the kitchen and looked out, to see Chise...kissing Elias head. In return, he kissed her back. Somehow, I felt a little bad about this, but pretend to suppress this feeling. I closed the window quietly and head towards the main door, opening it. "Dinner is ready" I said, acting all normal. "Thank you N/A" said Elias, passing me towards the kitchen, followed by Chise and Ruth. A little sad, I closed the door...only to stop half way...looking at the decoration at the door. "Mistletoe?" I said out loud, remembering the old saying. I understood now why they kissed, like he said, a mage takes the traditions serious, but even the mistletoe one?

I blushed in embarrassment. I want a kiss too, I thought feeling childish at this.

The next day I wanted to give it a try.

Elias went out with me again, heading out the main door. With his back to me, I ripped mistletoe of the decoration and hide it in my pocket. I only needed a chance to get it above us, somehow. Easier said than done, he is very tall compared to me. I tried to climb a tree above him to get my change, only for him to get me down with his thorns "You shouldn't climb the trees, you might fall" he said concerned. Damn it!

Next try!

I untied my shoe and said to Elias, in a very childish tone "Elias, could you help me with my shoe please?" he went down on one knee, tying my shoe. I took the mistletoe and raised it above his head.

Wooosh!!!!! "Thank you!!!" yelled something after me. The next I noticed what just happened, it took my mistletoe of my hand. How much bad luck can one person have??? I frowned disappointed, as Elias stood up, looking at my face "It the shoe too tight?" he asked surprised. "No..." I said whining, turning my back to him. He didn't understand what just happened to me, he tried to find out though "Why are you looking like that?" "Eh?" I didn't get what he means, as he pointed at my face "I...I....I'm just cold...that's all" I didn't want to tell him the truth; I was too ashamed of it. "I see...let us go to the café in the village...I get you a hot chocolate" he said, holding my hand in his, pulling me towards the bridge, which connected the village with the forest. I had to smile at him; he knew from our previous walks, that I love hot chocolate.

Before we could get in, Elias changed into his human form before entering. Once inside, we were greeted by the waitress. She gave us a table, with a perfect view towards the forest. Elias ordered himself an Earl Grey tea and for me, my beloved hot chocolate. Before she left, she stood before us, giggling. "This we forgot something?" I asked her confused. She stopped her chuckle "Yes...in fact...we all are waiting for something" she said, pointing towards the window. There were several Mistletoes hanging above us, I blushed hard at this, as all the other customers were looking at us.

They sure waited!

As I was about to protest, Elias took my head in his hands and pulled me towards him, kissing my lips tenderly. It was a whole lot better, since he was in his human form. The kiss was a lot longer, than the one he had with Chise.

The customers cheered at this, so was the waitress. "One Earl Grey and one hot chocolate, coming up!" she said cheerful, leaving us alone. We were silent for a while, till he spoke up "it's different." "What do you mean?" I asked confused. "The kiss...it's different...I am all warm... but I haven't had my tea yet" he said, more to himself than to me. I didn't know what to say to him, as he rambled on "I am not cold, so I am not lonely...N/A?" I jumped at my own name "Yes?" "My body is all warm and my heart beats fast... what emotion would humans say to that?"

I remembered, as Chised told me about Elias problem, not to understand emotions like humans can. But he is eager to learn and this, I find quite fascinating about him. However, I also know of his proposal to Chise, calling her his bride. I didn't want to ruin this and preferred to lie at him.

"I think you are...in the menopause" I said. I had no idea what else to say. "Menopause? What is that?" Damn it, I should have known that he would know. "In the menopause, your body get warm suddenly... it will pass in time" I tried, hoping he wouldn't ask any more questions about it.

Thankfully, the waitress got us the drinks. We drank them in silence, to my relief.